Thread: Insert audio on OpenGL

Insert audio on OpenGL

I am learning about programming OpenGL and I right now as an example I am working on NVidia OpenGL SDK. Right now I have some clear examples here which I am practicing. But how to add sound to them. Is DirectSound will still be connected to the project or there is an kind of any other process. Something I do not found in the tutorial which I am using while working on OpenGL. I need help with the same. Could you make a sound in OpenGL game without it, but certainly at the professional level.

Re: Insert audio on OpenGL

In OpenGL and without DirectX there is some stuff you need to work. In DirectX and generally you can work with anything and the sound can be done probably. The sound can be attached using using DirectSound and even OpenAL and also by using third-party libraries. But under Windows, these libraries will still output sound through DSound. So for that I will recommend fmod. You have to search more on this and then work with the same.

Windows works with the winapi function and if nothing is changes in your system then it can PlaySound. It can reproduce the sound as a file but for the the game of course it is not suitable. It can play the contents of the buffer which you need now. From my point of view FMOD is very good but it is recommended for commercial use. And there this is same with OpenAL, but there is a little more working on that. The best reason to use this is because it is free.

If you want to work with 3D sound then your job here becomes more complicated. Sound without the DX SDK - is correct. If you are using DirectSound then I found that is most horrible sound API. OpenGL is a graphics library. For that I will recommend you to move more further. OpenAL or PlaySound are the libraries that you can connect and configure sound with that. It is here also possible to use cross-platform OpenAL library and serves on the OpenAL SDK library. This has been used on several games such as Unreal II.

I will recommend OpenGL because it is very similar to OpenAL.FMOD is cross-platform but it can cause extra charge. While bass and DirectSound only work with Windows. In most case I had understand that OpenAL is not quite cross-platform. There is o official supported UNIX and Linux systems and for the hardware support you can also use those which are from Creative. So if there is an different hardware then also the same issue arises.

OpenGL is a graphics library, and can therefore only graphics. WaveOut is the most basic Windows, but hardly anything. Better alternative would be OpenAL or other SoundLib as FMOD or BASS. You have to go and search for more alternative solution that can work with all type of operating system. At start you can just plan here to test some sounds here and work on the same. There are other third party library also.