Thread: Can anyone suggest me Best Database setup.

Can anyone suggest me Best Database setup.

I comprise a prospective project where the DB will be predictable to store 1,000,000 latest records a week. Provide for this DB will be a multithreaded application which will sprint during the night. I was speculating if someone could recommend a DB setup/product for such traffic. For illustration I am pretty confident MSSQL Express will not be up to scrape. Any help/advice would be much respected. I hope that someone will help me thank you.

Re: Can anyone suggest me Best Database setup.

MySQL will perform this just very well - just keep your indexes accurate and optimize every your SQL queries. Don't anticipate doing some full text searches on this however. I run a DB within which one table has 20M entries. The additional tables are within the millions as well, just not as high. I have heard of people having 1B records within a MySQL DB. Another time, presently keep your indexes light (such as an ID number only), and change MySQL memory settings as required. You simply require to look at the immense expensive guys (e.g., Oracle) if you necessitate higher concurrency. 50 million rows within MySQL are OK - 50 million rows in the company of 10,000 people accessing it every at once is further challenging.

A million records a week. I guess it's a very important database. Can you afford to lose this amount of information that accumulates at a rate of more than 4 million new records per month? Could easily be replaced if lost? MS SQL Express is not suitable for such an important task. Not because of the problems associated with it, but because it provides what you really need (and free versions of MySQL not so much). If I was working with those volumes of important data that would not leaving a single database would be looking for a cluster solution with robust real-time replication between database servers, automatic failover, and a copy extremely reliable security system emergencies.

I disagree with this. MySQL can easily scale to millions of records per week. Apart from that we do not know what a record is made of. If there are three columns in a table then anything could handle it. If hundreds of columns are then probably going to be some of the most important hardware requirements, no matter what DB you are using. In a fraction of the cost of MSSQL or Oracle, MySQL can do just about anything a business needs. It is compatible with several clusters and distributed systems. Using versions of Google or Percon dramatically increases performance.

You did not mention what type of hosting environment you are using. I agree that the database design is one of the most important elements to consider. Having said that the second is the type of hosting plan you are. If I had the option I would go with MSSQL where I could go to Server Management Studio and maintenance plans of the installation, backup, replication, integration etc. It all comes down to budget. MySQL will probably do what you need, but if I could choose I would go for MSSQL.