Thread: SQL Query for different search.

SQL Query for different search.

Hi, I am a Engendering student and I am pursuing the subject called SQL, and in that we have many queries provided by the SQL to perform different functions, I want to know about the different searching queries, as I am little bit confused in that, so any one here, knows about SQL and their queries? Need to know very urgently, because I have an exam on this after 2 days, need some advice. Thanks.

Re: SQL Query for different search.

I would say this is the best place you have come to ask, and by the way the queries are too simple, and when it comes to searching from the table it becomes quite interesting, because there are too many queries regarding these, and off course they all provides the different outputs, I would like to suggest you that you should learn it from the SQL reference book, as they have very good explanation on each of the query, with the example.

See, first of all as you want to search the result from the table, the query is too simple, always begin such a query by the keyword select, as you have to display the result, thus start with select, than name all the fields that you want to display in the output, like the name, rollno, date, class etc, assume that there is a table called studmaster and these are the fields, thus write the query like, select name, rollno from the studmaster; this will display all the name and therir roll number in the output.

Hey this is too simple that you have to simply provide the name of the table and then it will retrieve the values from that table that you have mentioned in the table. Now suppose if the query is like,
    SELECT Volume Identity AS 'Index Volume', Folder Name AS 'Index Folder Name'
    FROM volume
    WHERE Volume identity = '80'
    Here, volume is the table and it will retrieve the Volume Identity and Folder Name from the table volume and will search for the condition that’s volume identity = '80'

You can use many keywords in the query for searching the different rather multiple results, now if suppose you use the Distinct keyword, it will search all the result and display only the single entries, I mean to say that the duplication would be avoided, and while searching the keyword ‘Where’ is used to give the condition, thus always include it in the query while searching any particular record.

Hi, I am also from the same stream, and I have a very good solution for these, and I would like to give it you, you can simply download the material from the website and then learn from it, as I also do it in the same way, this way you can practice also. In fact I would say you should install the SQL server and then run those query by your own, then only you’ll get the actual functionality of the query and all the keywords used in the query.

Hey I would like to recommend you that you should try to read some articles regarding these kind of queries, and I had also heard about some websites like they provide their virtual editor, so from that we can run the queries, and we don’t have to install the whole software, in fact they have their own many examples, through which you can get the actual idea about the queries, not only for searching, but each kind of queries. Or if you are planning to study from the reference book, then I’d say it is well and good.