Thread: Unable to copy folder names in excel spreadsheets

Unable to copy folder names in excel spreadsheets

I am working with a small scale industry which is working as an outsourcing firm for a BackOffice support provider. Our firm has most of the work on the MS-office suit. We use Ms-word and MS excel spreadsheets most of the times. I have most of the works on excel spreadsheets. I have to keep all the data up-do- date all the times. So mostly I prefer copying the folder names on my system which are useful for company as well as to me on the spreadsheets. So that one can easily check the folders when the folder names are required to be referred. But recently I tried directly copying and pasting the folder names on spreadsheets. I failed to do the same. Can you suggest its answer why this happens?

Satyrs Guest

Re: Unable to copy folder names in excel spreadsheets

Yes, my friend you can do the thing but there are few complex step. Try doing those. You can get your problem solved.
    Start, Run, type 'cmd' without the quotes and click OK. Which will open new Command Prompt window and from there you can navigate to the folder you want using 'cd' to change directories and 'dir' to list the files/folders. Then, right click at the top of the window, then select Edit, Mark, and then hold the mouse button and post it over the area that you want to copy to highlight the names of the files/folders. Again Right-click when you have the list highlighted, and then paste it on the excel sheet where you want.

I would really thank to the person who have posted his reply above. One more thing I would like to share with you relating to the excel spreadsheets which can help you to optimize the presence of data on your system when you are pasting the folder names on the spreadsheets. This makes easier to list the folders and subfolders on your systems in the spreadsheets automatically. But for this run Microsoft script runtime. And then follow this commands.: -
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim strStartPath As String
    strStartPath = "C:\" 'ENTER YOUR START FOLDER HERE
    ListFolder strStartPath
    End Sub
    Private Sub ListFolder (sFolderPath As String)
    Dim for As New FileSystemObject
    Dim folder As Folder
    Dim subfolder As Folder
    Dim i get Integer

Set folder = FS.GetFolder (sFolderPath)
    For Each subfolder In folder. Subfolders
    Do Events
    I = I + 1
    Debug. Print subfolder
    Next subfolder
    Set folder = Nothing
    MsgBox "Total sub folders in” & Folder Path & “: “& I
    End Sub
    here are your spreadsheets ready to cheer up by them selves!!

Wow it’s really amazing. I tried the post above on my system. Now my Microsoft software can work much better than any spreadsheet in the world. Apple MAC systems were giving this support of changing folder names or pasting folder names on the spreadsheets as per our requirements. So you can also try using apple MAC based spreadsheets as well for your personal use. If you want to take the office work to your home and can work much faster than Microsoft as well.

I think every spreadsheet of the today’s era has the same capability to make our work much faster. Only the thing is that everyone has their own choice of the product. No doubt Apple has best software as they have best developers as well. But Microsoft has also reached the heights of developing the best spreadsheets software numbers. Only the thing we face mostly is that Microsoft doesn’t allow you quick modifications in the operation of the software which is much easier in MAC environment. So better you use MAC based spreadsheets for your personal use. Because changing the organization’s choice is not in your hand. But you can change your own taste.

One more solution for you here I give. This is little bit lengthy. But will be definitely give you’re all doubts a quite relief: - suppose, C:\Documents and Settings\Mint\My Documents then go to Start, Run, cmd and it will open to the above directory. Then the command prompt type: dir /ad >list.txt and then press enter. A text file will be created named as "list" of all items in the directory which has the ".Dir" attribute. You will find your text file in the same folder.

Only giving this much information is not sufficient. You must give the complete information in the post above. Hopefully you have opened a text file in Excel before. Otherwise just follow the prompts to get it open in Excel and delete columns as needed. Do save it as an Excel worksheet though versus a .txt file when prompted. You can then open Excel and go to File, Open. Change to All file types and browse to the same folder to find it.