Thread: How to add Role Services in IIS 7

How to add Role Services in IIS 7

I have just found this website when I was searching about an IIS 7 on web. Since, you have provided some good information about IIS 7, I thought to register here and ask for some help. I was looking for adding role services in IIS 7 and I got some information about role services over here What are role services in IIS 7? . Please tell me how can I add Role Services in IIS 7? I am hoping that everything is right with my post and I have not broke any rules. So expecting that you members will also help me soon.

Re: How to add Role Services in IIS 7

Adding additional role services for IIS 7 is easy. In the Server Manager is available on the page for the link to add the IIS 7 role services can be selected. This dialog box with the list of role services is opened in the desired services can be selected. In a few cases, additional components in the system are required. Such dependencies are automatically detected and displayed. The most important additional module, the Windows process control, but when you first install the IIS 7 set up already. After confirming the selection, the installation, the status is displayed. The installation of additional components is done usually within minutes. A reboot is not required. Finally, the updated list of role services is displayed.

Besides the specific role for the security services are diagnostic services for integrity and interesting. In a default installation of IIS four services are set up automatically:
    • HTTP logging for the default logging site activity.
    • Logging tools with tools to be able to handle these protocols.
    • Request monitor for the mapping of HTTP requests to work processes. This can be monitored, such as the requirements that lead to performance problems in work processes.
    • Tracing for the trace of problems. This is a trace functionality that is particularly intended for application developers so that they can identify errors in applications.

In addition, there are two other services for logging. The first is the custom logging, other data collection modules can be supported with their help. This module is required if the form is not the IIS log files for analysis applications. It does require special COM modules that handle the logging information. Finally, there is the ODBC logging, through the ODBC interface to a database can be written to the log information. This is an effective approach for individual analysis, unless you want to work with the default interface or special analysis tools through the custom logging.

The role of services in application development in terms of security as making important because a significant portion of the course of development of the IIS vulnerability occurred in connection with such application interfaces stood. In this respect, is precisely here that one should install only the minimum required components. Also here are a quite a number of different roles and services so that application interfaces are available. This includes standard interfaces such as CGI (Common Gateway Interface), SSI (Server Side Includes) or the familiar interface ISAPI (Internet Server API). With one hand, the ISAPI extensions and the other to call the ISAPI filter, which are marked in the list of role services only as ISAP filter. The filters are special files in addition review the requirements, while providing a general interface enhancements for adding ISAPI modules.

In addition, there are ASP (Active Server Pages), ASP.NET and the. NET Extensibility. ASP is the older version of the development interface for the IIS, while ASP.NET on the .NET Framework-based and works with so-called managed code. .NET extensibility in turn provides interfaces for extending Web server functionality through .NET applications. In selecting the interfaces play the applications that are running on the Web server, a central role. For example, if the certificate services of Windows Server 2008 installed, extensions are automatically set up ASP and ISAPI. The target must also be generally get along with as few interfaces as possible - ideally with ASP.NET and the NET extensibility, because they provide the best control over the generated code and also the most efficient interfaces.