Thread: Database mirroring on sql server 2008

Database mirroring on sql server 2008

Hello everyone
    I am first year computer science student. I like science because I like to invent new things. Yesterday our teacher gave as one assignment based database mirroring on sql server. As I am first year student I am completely unaware about concepts related to sql server. Till now I only use ms-access for database connectivity. Is there anyone who has good knowledge about sql server? Please tell me about database mirroring starting from definition till its requisites. You you have any information related to this concept please let me come to know also. I am expecting your replies as early as possible. Thanks in advance.

Re: Database mirroring on sql server 2008

Database mirroring is the characteristic in SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 that provides a number of ease of use solution for Databases. This characteristic can be enabled and used only on a database with Full recovery models. The database can be mirrored from one SQL Server instance to another SQL Server instance. The source instance is called Principal server; the target instance is called Mirrored server. We could have one more server called Witness server, but I don’t have more information related to that one. If i find more information related to it I will rely you that also.for more information refer pdf files available on official site of sql.

I am unable get more information about its definition but I got information related to its working. The working of database mirroring is completely based primary server and mirrored server. The primary server is nothing but the source instance of database and mirror server is that server on which we are going to placed mirrored copy of database. In database mirroring the principle server throws active transactions records towards mirrored server. The remaining work is performed by mirrored server. He applies the sent transaction in sequence in order to achieve database mirroring. For more information use the pdf files available on net which contains detailed information related to this concept.

Database mirroring is nothing but as name suggested, making an instance of database on another server. There are two modes available to configure the database mirroring they are as follow:-

Synchronous mode,
    • It is also known as High-Safety mode compared to other.
    • In this mode principle server waits until his send transactions are collected on mirrored server.

Asynchronous mode
    • It is High-Performance mode.
    • In this mode principle server never waits for mirrored server for finishing his work.

I search throughout the web but I am unable to get too much information related to database mirroring , but I succeed to find the list of pre-requisites required for database mirroring and they are as follow:-
    • The version you are using to perform database mirroring must be of developer edition.
    • The primary database used in the process of database mirroring must be in complete recovery mode
    • Don’t forget to take backup of primary server to mirrored server.