Thread: State variables in ASP.net

State variables in ASP.net

I am software developer. Till now I worked on only static pages. And now I got a chance to develop some dynamic web pages. I have some knowledge about software language Asp.net, but I am not master in that. I want to know is there any place available in Asp.net to store all information which ever the type of data and retrieving them letter for using it for another purpose. Can you tell me about the storage place to keep variable type of data in asp.net? Is it possible to do with HTTP protocol?

Re: State variables in ASP.net

For your information I want to tell you that HTTP is nothing but a stateless problem and being stateless protocol unable to store any small amount of data into it. HTTP is just a carrier which carries request from user to server and response from server to user’s browser. I think there is a place to store all these kinds of information and it is session. Sessions are nothing but temporary state variables that is they store your data as long as your browser is opened. Actually sessions store user specific data into it. Everything in session is stored as a object that is why there is need to perform proper type casting when you want to retrieve your stored data.

There is also another variable available in .net to store your data. Like sessions application also stores the data in the form of object. That’s why at the time retrieving particular data there is need to perform appropriate type casting at the time retrieval of data. The storing and retrieving procedure of data in case of application data is similar to storing data in single dimensional array. Remember in asp.net everything is object that’s why it is must to create applications object before using it for storing data.

There are two types of variables available ASP.net for storing data or in development language say to Keep information related to particular state. I would like to tell you that session stores data into it as long as users Browser is in open state. When you close your browser all data stored in session variable is lost that’s why it is normally used to store temporary data like data used to verify particular user and all that simple example of this is log-in ID. Compared to session, Application variable is efficient variable to store all your data that you want keep even if browser is closed. Since it is stored in users physical memory.