Thread: Custom Validation in asp.net

Custom Validation in asp.net

I am software developer in VB 6.0. Last week I got a job in MNC, but as a ASP.net developer. I really don’t know too much about ASP.net. In VB6.0 I normally developed desktop applications and for performing validations on I simply put all code related to validations in module. As module is easily accessible to all pages in the project I used that same code written in that module throughout the project. Is there any pace available in .Net where I can put my all code related to validations. I really want to know answer of this question as early as possible. Yesterday I got first project to develop and I still don’t know how to perform this basic thing.

Re: Custom Validation in asp.net

Actually I don’t think so that this kind of place is available in .net where you place the code which is accessible to whole page. As you know Asp.net is developed language compared to Vb6.0. I have alternative solution for you, which I hope help you lot while validating particular control. There are some pre- defied validation controls available on .Net. With the help of which you can easily validate lots of things like checking empty fields, checking particular range, validating particular expression without writing hell amount of code. You just need to change properties after dragging them on your form. Some common properties’ associated with each control are control to validate, type and operator.

If you are not able to use validation controls as you wanted to do some validation which are out of range of pre-defined validation controls for that kind of validation you can first create an function in the source file under the script tag. Write functions just as same as your VB6.0 functions but don’t forget to make necessary changes in arguments. After writing this function you can easily called these function on variety of events of particular control like buttons click event and drop down list box’s selected index change event.

I don’t think so that the script tag is ideal place to store information regarding validation as if you want to write hell amount of validation in script tag than it become extremely difficult to find bugs in that. There is another control available in ASP.net to put all such things into it. It is a custom validation control. Custom validation control allows you to write code related to tricky validations in it. AS custom validation control allows you to separate your actual functionality coding with validation. I am sure that this will solve your problem. To use that you just have to make necessary changes in its properties only.