Thread: What is static Function in C++?

What is static Function in C++?

Hey guys, I need your help as I am not able to get what is Static function in C++? Whenever I make mind a try to understand this terms but I at last I end up with being disappointing. I have tried it from different books to understand but still my concept regarding is term is not clear. If anyone having any information or knowledge about the query which I have asked then please let me know as I very much keen in knowing this concept. If possible then please make it with an example.

Re: What is static Function in C++?

Functions may also be declared as static .When declared a static, function may only access other static functions or variables of the same class directly. Static function do not have this pointer. A function if declared as static then class shouldn’t have the other function with same name as non static. Static function will be called by means of class name as,
    class_name::function_name(argument list)

class Box
    {
    int l,w,h;
    static int k;

public:
    Box()
    {
    l=9;
    w=8;
    h=7;
    }
    }
    Box::k=0;
    main()
    {
    Box b1,b2;
    }
    The above example illustrates that in this example b1 and b2 are the two objects which share one common variable k.

Normally when we are creating object of any class, every object will get its own copy of variable declared in the class. Some time we may want some variable common between numbers of objects. Such variables which are common between numbers of object are declared as static. A static variable will be common between the numbers of objects of that class. When you declare a static variable within a class, you are defining it. All static variables are initialized to zero before the first object is created. Even though it is defined it should be declared outside the class.

The static function of a class can be called before creation of the object of the class. The static function can access only static variable of the class. A static variable can be accessed using object name or class name. The scope resolution operator must be used when class name is used to access static data. In C++ you can have this feature of creating an object after the static function of a class is created.