Thread: What are API in MySQL?

What are API in MySQL?

A database server obviously will not be used only by his client, but should be accessible from applications of various kinds. The most common use of the MySQL database is probably for the sites and web applications, but has a number of application interfaces and connectors that make it usable in virtually any context. I am having this much knowledge. I know that API is used for this, but since I am not having much knowledge about it, I thought to take it from you members. Please tell me different API's that are used in MySQL.

Re: What are API in MySQL?

One possibility is to embed the MySQL server application. This is possible through the use anti libmysqld library, available to configure MySQL with the - with-embedded-server (at compile time source). The use of this library allows you to achieve greater speed. The application interface is certainly the most widely used for the C language, developed directly from MySQL AB. It is located in the library mysqlclient. Most of the programs distributed with the MySQL client is written in C, then use this library to connect to the server. The other API mysqlclient use. This interface allows the use of prepared statements and also supports execution of multiple queries (but not with prepared statements).

PHP is one of the "fellow travelers" of MySQL, it is a popular language for applications and dynamic websites. There are two interfaces for PHP:
    • mysql: Available for PHP 4 and 5 is the interface to use for MySQL versions prior to 4.1. As we have seen repeatedly, MySQL 4.1 has introduced several innovations that are not supported by this library.
    • mysqli: it means "MySQL Improved" (improved) and is the interface to use for MySQL versions from 4.1 onwards. It is only available for PHP 5. Supports prepared statements, multiple instructions, and an advanced object-oriented.

Warning: If you use the old interface with the latest versions of MySQL (4.1 or later), it is essential that the server is working with the - old-passwords. Perl interface for Perl DBI interface exists, based on the DBI module (generic interface to the database) and driver DBD:: mysql. This interface replaces the old mysqlperl, now considered obsolete.

The first group of connectors we're talking about are the MyODBC driver. These products can be used by applications that use ODBC (Open DataBase Connectivity), one of the best-known generalized API for database access. The latest version is MyODBC 3.51, which supports ODBC 3.5x specification level 1, level 2, the previous version, MyODBC 2.50, based on the ODBC 2.50 specification level 0 (with built-in level 1 and 2) . MyODBC can be used on Windows and Unix platforms, although its use is widely prevalent in Windows. Once installed MyODBC, you need to configure the DSN (Data Source Name) necessary for the application to enable the latter access to MySQL, as long as the machine from which the connections are made to have the necessary permissions on the tables of the server. You can also set some parameters that influence the responses of MySQL connections.