Thread: What is a Journaling file system in Linux?

What is a Journaling file system in Linux?

I am new to this forum, so please ignore my mistakes (if any). I have done some basic things in Linux and now we have given an assignment about journaling file system. Now frankly speaking I am not having any idea about it. The notes that has been provided is not enough for me to understand. So thought to post here and get some help from you members. Please tell me what is a Journaling file system in Linux? I am expecting some quick response from your side.

Re: What is a Journaling file system in Linux?

Journaling file system can be defined as a system that serves to give more security to the integrity of data and metadata, contained in our computers. It is recommended for high availability systems. And if the "new" feature they have is that of "transactions" that cause the system to recover "normal" for example, to unexpected falls.

Well, for instance when our computer goes bad before, the files could be "corrupt", but now with these "new" systems, if not 100% sure, but this does not happen because when bad off our pc, the transactions were not completed disc were recorded earlier in the "journal", and restart the machine they are made, therefore the file system is "synchronized" back without losing data. In other file systems, if this happens, you could lose lots of data.

Journaling is the ownership of these file systems, to recall the partial operations that make an upgrade. Ext2 is, or if it was not the standard file system for Linux, was created by Wayne Davidson, it is clear that not a Journaling file system. Linux now, besides this file system, has several more, the "transaction", for example, SGI's XFS, IBM's JSF, ReiserFS of Namesys, and the "alleged EXT3" developed by one of the developers of the former EXT2 . According to tests, ReiserFS is fast with files "fairly small", while XFS is very fast with files "relatively large", the larger the files are handled with XFS, the better. At first it was said that only ran XFS files up to 2 GB, but this is a lie.

• XFS: Version 1.0 of XFS, SGI's made known on May 1, 2001. Mainly this was created for the operating system from SGI, IRIX. Now available under GPL for Linux. I'm using this file system, and so far I have not caused any problems. As mentioned earlier, this file system is very good with large files so if you work with small files, continue reading. XFS is a lie that works with files up to 2 GB only! If you manage files "fairly" small, not recommended for use XFS, ReiserFS, but that for these files is fast, however if you use files to which you can call and large, very large, too large, in this case if it is recommended to use XFS.
    • JSF: "Journaled File System" This was one of the first file systems of this type is IBM. I have not tried, so I can not say much, but it says it is safe.
    • EXT3 EXT3 is quite like the old ext2, but only that this new is said to be a journaling file system, by the mere fact of having a "separate space for journaling buffer."

EXT3, EXT3 is quite like the old ext2, but only that this new is said to be a journaling file system, by the mere fact of having a "separate space for journaling buffer."
    Ext3 is much safer than ext2. If you are using ext2 and you want to switch to other journaling file system, it is recommended that the former is Ext3, because there is less risk of losing data and information, and is compatible with ext2. If you use core "old", we recommend you do download, and install the patches for the kernel you are using.

I think that this is enough for your assignment..

The worst thing about this system is that it does not own any property, as is the rest of the transactional file systems have, to "improve the speed of data manipulation, and archiving. To convert an ext2 to an ext3, it's easy, just be done with:
    "Tune2fs-j / dev / partition_device"
    After creating the partition ext3, ext2 from the latter can again be mounted as ext2 again if when you unmount the ext3, does it the right way.

I can only say that XFS and ReiserFS are very good. The only conclusion I can give is: if you manage / use small file size, just use ReiserFS, which according to many tests is the best behaved with them. But if you use / handle large files is recommended to use XFS because it is the journaling file system that behaves best with them, and as I mentioned earlier, the greater are the files, XFS behaves better. I personally recommend that you use either file system "transactional" try them on your own.