Thread: Best Linux distro for python programmers

Best Linux distro for python programmers

I have been working on Windows computer since my childhood. I would like to try some Linux distribution now. My usage: since I am a programmer, I do a lot coding in Python. So I would like to have a linux distribution which supports Python. Is there any such distribution which can suit my need? Can you suggest me some of those?

Re: Best Linux distro for python programmers

I would suggest Debian. Debian is a free operating system for your computer. This distribution has a built-in feature known as Python. Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 25000 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine.

Now a days almost every linux distribution comes with Python. So you just install any of the distribution of Linux and use some best editor for Python programming. I would suggest you to go for gedit. gedit is a UTF-8 compatible text editor. It also includes tools for editing source code and structured text such as markup languages.

KDE is an international free software community producing an integrated set of cross-platform applications designed to run on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, Solaris and Mac OS X systems. KDE software is built using the Qt framework which runs on most Unix and Unix-like systems

Would you like to configure everythink by yourself? If your answer is yes, then I would suggest to go for Gentoo. Gentoo is a free operating system based on either Linux or FreeBSD that can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or need. It features extreme configurability, performance and a top-notch user and developer community.

Damn Small Linux is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution. It is free and open source software under the terms of GNU GPL and other free and open source licenses. It can do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
    * Boot from a USB pen drive
    * Boot from within a host operating system
    * Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
    * Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
    * Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
    * Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB
    * Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

So install Damn Small Linux and for Python programming you need to ActivePython. It is a stand-alone version of Python for Linux. ActivePython is the industry-standard, commercial-grade Python distribution used for easy Python installation and quality-assured code.