Thread: idb error: system open-file limit

idb error: system open-file limit

I want to use idb with ifort v11 on Mac OS X on a quite big code. The executable is providing an error which I have not seen on other platforms; therefore I wanted to look at it with idb. I get the following error stream.”prompt> idb RadHyd “
    Intel(R) Debugger for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 11.0, Build [1.1510.2.69]
    My object file name is RadHyd .Reading symbols from “/Users/Shared/Work/Codes/CHIMERA/trunk/RadHyd/Execute/build1D/RadHyd...”.
    The system open-file boundary has been arrived. So the debugger can’t unlock files it wants to read debug information. The debugger's understanding of the program will be limited.
    Unrecognized binary file format for file is: “/Users/Shared/Work/Codes/CHIMERA/trunk/RadHyd/Execute/build1D/unpack_eos_keys.o
    Could not read debugging information from”/Users/Shared/Work/Codes/CHIMERA/trunk/RadHyd/Execute/build1D/unpack_eos_keys.o” and its coming continuously from several pages files.

Re: idb error: system open-file limit

I have some suggestion for you, may you will get some use full trick from my replies. First of all I am little bit unclear with your question that it is shell imposed limit or not. I know that shell imposed files are limited to 256 by default on my machine. Just see what happen when you increase the open files limit under the shell and then start idb ? For bash/ksh use: ulimit -n <new value> and for csh/tcsh use: limit descriptors <new value> .Choose <new value> to reflect the number of object files you expect will be opened. Let me know what happen

I do not think about shell limitations and if I will set it to 1024 it will solve my problem of open-file limit , but I will get other, which I found previously, but ascribed to the open-file limit issue. prompt> idb RadHyd. My object file is RadHyd and reading symbols form: /Users/Shared/Work/Codes/CHIMERA/trunk/RadHyd/Execute/build1D/RadHyd...Assertion failed: "found" src/st/mem/pil_loadablefileformatMachO.C:1780
    This one is surprising state and may point to the presence of a defect. If you wish to report this, please include the stack trace that follows. Could not start process for RadHyd.No image loaded ... Recovering ... . I do not understand that "loadablefileformatMachO" is one of mine.

The IDB technician team will repair this asserts and others problem can be resolved by the newest IDB shipped with the 11.0.059 update and package Id is : m_cprof_p_11.0.059.dmg. So can you please attempt to install the 11.0.059 update package and also try to use latest IDB? Latest IDB version is 1.1510.2.96 and the complete sing is : Intel(R) Debugger for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 11.0, Build [1.1510.2.96]. you presently have 1.1510.2.69.

I just came to know about one extra side effects which is related to this assert that is not completely found in the latest IDB. I receive this information from the IDB developers investigation that is: From the IDB developer's investigation, we appreciate this asserts relay to the linker not issuing symbolic definitions for every local variables in the executable's debug information. The modification in the latest IDB keep away from the assert but sometimes you may feel issues debugging, particularly involving access of several local variables. this exact assert concerned Fortran local arrays that are located in the _bss segment If you get the latest IDB and feel difficulty with local arrays not being accessible/visible, undefined, or they contain incorrect values, then try making the local array global via a COMMON as a work around.

I do not know on this thread why we are leaving the real question? I am facing that real problem about “open file-limit”. I also want to free of this problem by writing limit description 1024 at many console promote. I am using Mac OS X 10.5.8. Seeing symbols from : Users/dclarke/nmacdonald/test/debug2/xdzeus36...Assertion failed: "!" - SCATTERED!"" src/st/mem/pil_loadablefileformatMachO.C:1596. This is an unseen error and might be indicating the attendance of a defect. And from this thread I found one solution that is up gradation of IDB for 1.1510.2.69 to 1.1510.2.96 but still having this assertion failure. And here I saw this solution fix the problem of one user but does not fix mine. I still have some queries that how can I fix the assertion failure in version 1.1510.2.96 and what is the update on the array issue?

This thing accrued at dissimilar line numbers within pil_loadablefileformatMachO.C , therefore they can have some kind of relationship but they do not emerge to be similar. For you first question I feel that there are some extra asserts fixed in the newer version of IDB 11.1 built 1.2097.2.222, therefore it is probably it’s on you that you repair the latest IDB. I say that with some self-assurance because the particulars of the internal tracking id DPD200111050 include the assert you showed.

In last reply you did not get you last question answer bcz it’s not available yet. They array matter is not get repaired yet so the only counsel is to attempt the work around mentioned of making the local array global through Common. I will write this development has worked widely with Apple to root-cause the matter with relocation addresses related to the BSS segment. At present, there is compiler debug emission change wanted, after which debugger changes may be essential. This turned out to be a complex issue. I will stay the thread updated as I learn more.

Thanks Reegan and Zecho for your help. I will try your all suggestion to solve my query. But I have one very basic question. How to update IDB version 11.1 built 1.2097.2.222. Will I have to pay something for this update? Or there is some fixes of the current version and how they applied? Sorry for asking very basic questions. Please tell me as soon as possible.