Thread: Icon from dll

Icon from dll

I want to know that can I extract icons from .dll files Is it possible to extract from imageres.dll and see their order. How I can use an icon according to their number. So that I can change the icons on the navigation pane. I want to know that where are these files are stores to their corresponding number. If I am not wrong than it would appear something like this %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll, -89. May be someone knows how to do this.

Re: Icon from dll

I have searched a lot to solve your problem. I think this solved by any recommended resource file manager. They are only able to answer your particular problem. You should to know how to interpret them. The utility can also suggest that how to change the icons. You can also search the Google for your problem.You may get the solution for your problem there.

As you have described in your question your are correct that there is the index which store the number of any files. It enumerates the resources of the icon and stores them in the enumeration index.
    for example:The icon entry specifies an icon which represents the AutoRun-enabled drive in the Windows user interface which will be like (icon=iconfilename[,index]) index will represent the number of the icon file.

So you want to making a script that will associate all files with their appropriate programs. This is possible only when you swap the icon physically within the file or application. I am not sure that it will work or not try this. May be it will helpful to you. If it works let me know. As I am not using the windows 7.I have got all these from the internet If you are not satisfied with this than search out for more on the internet.

I think you want to extract the icon from the .dll files. If I am understand correct than it can be solved by installing the application called IconViewer. Actually it is a program which help you to see the reference number for an icon on the page of a list of the DLL file. try this program.

You can download the DLL extractor. It will help you to scan the files and folders on your system. It will extract the icon and the cursors which are stored in the EXE, DLL and in the other file types. And you can store that extracted file to the ICO files. This will solve the problem. Try this application.