Thread: How to make a .INF file?

How to make a .INF file?

what are .INF files ? I want to make a .INF file to install the hardware and some software to windows.can anybody help me in creating this file(.inf).Please help me. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: How to make a .INF file?

As you want to know about the INF fie, these files are the plain text file used by the Microsoft windows for the installation of the software drivers.INF files are commonly used for installing device drivers for hardware components.These INF files are the part of the windows setup API.Windows includes IExpress.exe for the creation of INF based installation.

The INF file is very similar to the INI files having various section which specify the files which are to be copied, changes the registry etc. All INF files has a section with a unique signature which specify the version of window this is for what exactly INF files are needed.The INF file's common signatures are $CHICAGO$ (for Windows 9x) or $WINDOWS NT$ (for Windows NT/2K/XP).Its most of the sectors are user defined and having the knowledge about the component being installed.

An autorun.inf file is the most initial instruction file which is associated with the Autorun function.It is a simple text based configuration which tells the operating system the following operations:
    *Which exe file to start.
    *Which icon to use.
    *And which additional command to make.

An INF file direct Windows how to deal, open the presentation and treat the contents of the CD.
    The Autorun.inf file defines the following:
    *The process that will automatically run at the time of disk inserted.
    *The process that will run for the specific Operating environments.
    *It also present an icon which represent the the application's CD or DVD when the drive is viewed with my computer or explorer.
    *It also display a menu command for the icon when the user right-click on the icon.

A file that provides Windows Setup with the information required to set up a device, such as a list of valid logical configurations for the device and the names of driver files associated with the device.
    AN EXAMPLE OF MINI AUTORUN FILE IS DESCRIBED BELLOW:
    [autorun]
    open=autorun.exe
    icon=autorun.ico
    Its description is as follows:
    autorun: it is a primary section.
    open : it is a keyword which decides the action to take at the time of disc iserted
    icon : it determines the icon which is used for the disk.
    In the same way you can create an INF file for your hardware to be installed to windows.
    Last edited by absolute55; 27-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.

nikjerry Guest

Oh Esmel, I have just read this all of the stuff and I just want to say that I also was searching for the same as I also want to make the .INF file, but I having not that much idea about that. The thing that I want to say that after reading your this post I came to know and got the proper idea. So now I will try that once.