Thread: Which Framework for Web Applications?

Which Framework for Web Applications?

We are in the process to align our internal strategy on the programming language for Web applications new. Say we want to for various reasons away from PHP towards enhanced development with Java. For us, it revolves mainly around the development of web-based applications for internal use, are taking part, with very large amounts of data must be juggled. Most of these applications are very strong and there are lasting AJAX GUI frameworks like ExtJS is used. The applications are multilingual in the rule. Like everywhere else too there are indeed a plethora of web frameworks to facilitate a work. For Java there is just a particularly large number ... What are the your experience? Would you using pure Java framework recommended (GWT, JSF ...) or keep it the "Scripting colleagues' Groovy (Grails with) or JRuby (Ruby on Rails) is better. Am grateful for every decision.

Re: Which Framework for Web Applications?

One has to wonder whether "honest" and "clean" takes MVC (Struts & Co), or faster to develop more and difficult script alternative (ror / grails etc - if you PHP, the adaptation will fall lighter). My needs are covered completely in the moment with WW2/S2, and I for DI Pico / Nano containers began. AJAX I do with DWR (is in S2/WW2 already integrated).

I want to draw attention to Apache Wicket. After several years of experience with JSP, JSF, Seam, Wicket and last is a very pleasant alternative. You should know about the J4Fry Lookups. Configurable transcript output in Java is a malicious thing to utilize. The standard method is the i18n support with memorandum resource bundles. There are some critical negative aspect with this approach :
    • Message texts are rolled out with the relevance as an alternative of residing in a database thus implementing an application rollout to regulate some wording.
    • Aspects are constrained to language and countries neglect the need for further demarcation for user roles or supplementary application environment parameters.

The most important thing for me was nevertheless mentioned: very clear separation between design and programming, no XML, no scripting language, hardly Tags. I have made with Spring and Spring MVC very good experience - even in the context of Ajax. Result was far more maintainable, testable, scalable Java code. Especially I found it as pleasant, that no attempt is critical at all. It has so much more control if you wish.

I again had very good experiences with JSF. The component model can be found elsewhere in almost any other framework (such as Struts and Co.). There are also many extensions for JSF. In addition, you have if you run all within an application server can be easily access EJBs using Seam. You can check more information here. (http://www.jboss.com/products/seam). On the EJB side you have with the new JEE entirely new and easy ways eg POJOs in DB using JPA.

Standardization is not always a guarantee of distribution. Especially when one comes from the PHP camp, it is vllt. not wrong to build on already well-known standards such as HTTP to be able to. When I was at that time was made in the direction it was pretty close to the Request ("$ _GET" or something). You see, I condemn any standards and I know that you can do with JSF great things. But there are, as always, pros and cons.