Thread: Canoo WebTest vs Selenium in Java

Canoo WebTest vs Selenium in Java

This issue was ever raised here, but two years ago. For this reason, I would like to access it again from a more abstract and more current perspective. I would be interested in your experience with test tools for Web tests and especially for the front-Framework constellation + Facelets + Java Server Faces AJAX. The following are some main points of criticism :
    • Easy integration into the build process (Ant / Maven)
    • Maintenance
    • AJAX and JavaScript skills
    • Documentation
    • Support the development before test
    • Use within Continuous Integration

Until now I had myself with Selenium and Canoo Webtest explained.What have been your experiences so far? And perhaps someone can recommend something better for the same problem?

Re: Canoo WebTest vs Selenium in Java

Have yourself tested to Java, Qt, and Web interfaces. Essential to Web interfaces is that the developers adhere to standards and not develop browser-specific. In such cases, you can squish can extend payment. Particularly commendable, I always found the very fast support from froglogic. According to me its a very good integration, so you can test a large number of other files, with different programming languages are available. There is also an API to implement the many requirements allowed.

I know the discussion about open source tools. However, can open source tools for nothing, but not free and it was only the time you invest themselves and not settle. My attitude is that I am ready and willing to spend money if I can work better or faster. But that is a decision that everyone must take themselves.

I think that selenium might be a good choice, although I have tested only superficially. I have relatively long with worked Mercury QuickTest and forget the counterpart of Computer ware (name or displaced) tried. Both tools, Quick Test just are not the expensive value for money. I speak here of null pointer exceptions in the QT-Console, etc. I am writing just to let you both of these commercial items that can exclude.

You should be in your choice to take into account any event, as the objects of your page are identified. Identifies you an object id in a clear, therefore
    <input id="blub"...>,
    then probably the tool be OK. But there are actually tools that go beyond the position the object identifier. Changes which, you have a problem. This tool is also capable of scripting.

What I still do not know is that you should forgive with a different test parameters can So for example an Excel list of Params read and who can fill in your script. In addition, should the tool of a decent "time out" procedure available. If the page once a second hand takes longer to continue the test anyway (QT has problems here, too). About Open Source / Commercial: I perhaps ideologically, but with QT, I have as much Spent time with the support, had any problems, as well as with any other tool. The only problem here was actually that I could not even ask Google, because so few users outside of the poorly attended support forum have posted.

I would recommend them even a glance at watir to throw. You will get more information here (http://watir.com/). It works really well, at least with Internet Explorer. Selenium has in my experience more problems with complex Web pages with many frames and Javascript. Critical points are typically:
    • Support for modal dialogs
    • Support for nested frames
    • Tools for remote control is not the browser, the JavaScript support.

Another good tip is certainly HtmlUnit. It offers an especially good integration with Ant and thus can be utilized with the standard CI Tools. However, the implementation effort is quite high. Build Process Integration: Webdrive has become a Java library and can be controlled from any Java class and therefore also from JUnit where it belongs. Very good! Maintenance: The tests are described in Java itself. In pared to XML as a tool for some advance! This would also be used Groovy for testing, I have not tried it myself, unfortunately.

Ajax and Javascript support: Absolutely everything that is on the surface as seen, the Webdrive. I have tested it myself in my Ajax application. There must be a couple smaller methods are implemented to adapt the Webdrive on the specifics of Ajax requests, then it runs perfectly. For more sophisticated search on the website there are XPath support to make the abstractions are very easy and more global behavior for best. Components (eg, all input fields within a page) can be determined.