Thread: Google Web Toolkit - an ideal framework for Web applications?

Google Web Toolkit - an ideal framework for Web applications?

I'm looking for a hobby, J2EE, in particular for Web applications with database connectivity. Now I have dealt more closely with GWT. Does AJAX, which, as befits the complexity of the GWT framework is adopted. It, however, to push some concerns: The database is only available on the server. Therefore, RPC over HTTP must be used to transfer the data. (Supplied by GWT available). However, using servlets, which are obviously not UnitTests possible. It can also be problems when serializing Hibernate beans. For with conventional web applications is http response rendered directly on the server and thus is DB / Hibernate without further. GWT is actually made him too cumbersome? It provokes a java-version broken - for client code is only 1.4.x allowed. Before I run a significant learning curve, I would naturally like to know if I put on a good horse. A similar question in the forum before. I would like to specifically know about GWT.

Re: Google Web Toolkit - an ideal framework for Web applications?

The problems are solvable, but for now annoying. There is and a plug in Struts 2, which delegates the RPC calls to action. (But for that I can not say much at the moment because I have no use case). In my opinion we will have with DOJO and JSON Edition in S2 / WW2 which will be much better.

It's probably the nature of the application subject to. The would be different to an action-based solution then that GWT provides a good possibility, the controller velegen to the client - that is good way to manage complex state itself on the client, the server is then "just" a web sg-service. So if the requirement is only a re-render parts of the page, you can also use an action-based framework. If it involves more complex state, one should put on a framework already said, it is a GWT of better technologies.

The recommendation is for Dojo I disagree. Dojo is very innovative but very difficult to handle as a framework. Much has been documented very bad, especially it does not offer any RIA in architecture, but is rather a large library, that is exactly the * opposite * of his name: Framework. Stay away from it. Hibernate objects can not serialize properly, so we have to use for messaging, and thus also for GWT DTOS. Burden remains limited. It goes wonderfully with MVC. The Controller classes are not with us at the presentation layer.Elaborate pattern is a message bus via the Observer from the database to the frontend.

The recommendation is for Dojo I disagree. Dojo is very innovative but very difficult to handle as a framework. Much has been documented very bad, especially it does not offer any RIA in architecture, but is rather a large library, that is exactly the * opposite * of his name: Framework. Stay away from it.
    DOJO is indeed very innovative and little bit tough. But can the lack of documentation I disagree. Onlinebook a help. Best of all, it does not attempt to refer to the server control. It is also relatively easy to lull subclasses to - I have less Lines of code, a connection of Inilne text editors for my actions (WW) done. However, it is not java.Beauty of this is left to the HTML layout remains the Designer can be. With a well <div/> come clear, and Javascript get the little to see.

If you look at GWT is sometimes considered more closely in terms of an XSS but bad if one is in charge of security, right? As a framework with respect to Java and HTTP remoting, I can recommend DWR. DWR can make as Java domain models and services available in JavaScript. Besides Spring support, it also offers many possibilities to ensure safety.

When combining the traditional MVC, struts-say, the controller model (data) with the view (jsp). But when one of the (struts) controller objects on the server only serialized and forwards them to the GWT, it is no longer view-controller but only one part of the M, since it only provides data. The true MVC controller is then on the client, and combines the data coming from the server, with the view.

Critical to the distinction the state is the application. Will include the State in Javascript really treated, rather than simply to generate links in JSPs that are then triggered and the state, one has necessarily a controller on the client, even if they only fill "entries in a lookup text field. This variety is often overlooked. For smaller Ajax snippets several small view-controller are used, but once you have a complex application on the client, it is not enough more and you have to solve the "problem", the client controller also "."