Thread: Should we use an embedded application server in Java?

Should we use an embedded application server in Java?

For an in-house application that need, in principle, only data from different sources into a standard format to be converted and deployed in several incarnations as easy as possible, should I make a small administration module that can be operated via the network. I'm thinking of using a servlet container and the whole thing to make a servlet. Because I want to keep the DeploymentExpenditure to a minimum, it should be an embedded container that is fully controlled from the application. One example, also install Tomcat still on the machines (and wait) to make the little bit of administration, would be disproportionate. Is this a reasonable approach? Or is the effort (in man hours or MB) is much too big and I had better implement a small command line control over sockets? A web interface would be quite beautiful. If you are embedded in the Appserver deciding which to choose? Embedded Tomcat is probably possible, but (if one can trust the reports found on the Web) is rarely used and not well maintained. Do you have experience with such solutions? What do you think?

Re: Should we use an embedded application server in Java?

So I understand the problem better than not. I would take NEN Tocmat / Jetty and think about it ... just not on upset today because the 20 megs for? I can not imagine the best of intentions. Furthermore, if there is a distributed application on the intranet, I say just go for a "growth advance", which is why it sound technical basis but a good thing?

Perhaps I have not made myself very clear. NICHTum it is a web application, but only a small background tool. Therefore, I want to keep the infrastructure costs to a minimum. This means that minimum requirements for the server should run on it. So do not have a Tomcat installation. Sure, technically are 20MB or 100MB or 1GB not soooo crucial. If, however, after the effort for the maintenance of the environment is greater than that for the maintenance of the actual functionality, then that's just ugly and inappropriate.

I want to keep the infrastructure costs to a minimum. This means that minimum requirements for the server should run on it. So do not have a Tomcat installation.
    When you say "not even one .." I suppose that even the Tomcat's running etc.. Why not install on an ongoing environment of the application? I do not answer that question, but nevertheless may help just as inspiration.

Sorry, I've expressed myself wrong. The machines do not usually HTTP or Application Server are installed. Would be an Appserver available, I would take the simple. But it is disproportionate, extra for this application yet install a wait (and have).

In your case I would program a little Standalonesolution without any server. Such a thing is quickly created with Java board funds. Furthermore, this software is indeed a little give to Swing front end for the Admin / Config stories. With Matisse (for example) is something like yes is not rocket science.

If I understand you correctly, you distribute a small application on many computers and want to manage those applications where appropriate, from time to time? What is the administration? Would you like to change only parameters of the applications or implement such an auto-update? Or do you have as more to do?