Thread: Java Web Start application to convert applet

Java Web Start application to convert applet

We have developed a web start application and think about to convert them to an applet. The Webstart application itself requires Internet connectivity and we have found no way to share the Internet connection of the browser as a Webstart application so independently of the browser is running. This means that a user enter both in the Web Start-Settings and in the settings of our application's proxy information, it must have an Internet connection can be built from the application. This would disappear if we would use instead of a web start applet. Now imagine me a few questions about Applets (in the area I have little experience):
    • Can an Applet reference several additional jars to resources (classes, diagrams, etc) straight from libraries?
    • Can I reload an applet in native libraries (JNI)?
    • Can we do any changes in an applet on local data outside the sandbox. Signature is present. Appear to be any warnings to the user?
    • Can be opened by an applet from a further swing dialog or is it limited to a total of a dialogue?
    Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Re: Java Web Start application to convert applet

First of all applets have a completely different life cycle. Furthermore, different applets, and "not normal" applications in the Java classloading. Both work in a sandbox and only if it appropriately signed and rights they are, they can break out of this sandbox. Ah yes the BP, an applet may, if it is signed correctly make on your local box everything you implementing. And of course you can from an applet out n open as many dialogues.

The Webstart application itself requires Internet connectivity and we have found no way to share the Internet connection of the browser as a Webstart application so independently of the browser is running. This means that a user enter both in the Web Start-Settings and in the settings of our application's proxy information, it must have an Internet connection can be built from the application.
    I can not agree, as you very well on Java Web Start can read the proxy information, they will be saved so as by IE in the registry. Problem in JNI accessed is that they usually offer the user has not added a dll to be, and there we have it again with the security and anxious DACs ....

I can not agree, as you very well on Java Web Start can read the proxy information, they will be saved so as by IE in the registry. Problem in JNI accessed is that they usually offer the user has not added a dll to be, and there we have it again with the security and anxious DACs ....
    Yes, that is from Java 1.5 and I have in there via reflection in my 1.4er code. The proxy detection works, unfortunately only when is selected in the Java settings in the Proxies "Browser Settings". Unfortunately this is not all users of the case. On Mac OS, it works in most cases not even exist. When I run the code instead of as an applet, I have the proxy problem but definitely not, right? Now, the relation now with applets as well as with Webstart? If so, then I see no problem, because a signed jar which contains a native Librarary is indeed not perceived by a user in a special way. My Webstart application contains a native library that reads the Outlook address contacts.

If I interpret correctly, then the application is running inside the intranet of your company and there is a proxy set up. If so, why is it a problem that the user must have set your proxy settings. If this is not made by Policy? Can use the Java Preferences browser settings are not set automatically, or if it is not, you can not then expect the users? Is it a time thing?

Do in your applet code (I assume it is a Swing Applet (JApplet applet and not), since there was previously a WebstartApplication) Just play a new JFrame (). setVisible (true);
    Yes, the window is separately from the browser window. Oh yes, and the life cycle refers to the fact that you probably now the code begins in a Main method.

This is the Software is a product that can come in many different environments are used and we try to make as little effort for the user needed. Webstart course, has its advantages, but an applet would in any case, zero-config bootable. Applets have some disadvantages: The code must be each time reloaded the software is not independent of the browser (a browser crash kills course, the applet).