Thread: How to change backup directory

How to change backup directory

I want a backup software, to backup my websites to my computer via FTP. I've used Cobian but the problem is that it downloads the entire site and then compare the files that have been modify and update them in my backup folder locally. It is not practical at all, if I edit a file on the site. I wish it only downloads the changed file. So I am looking for backup software that compares the files to backup (modified file) directly on the remote site, then download only those files changed. Please help.

Re: How to change backup directory

You need to install TYPSoft. Once TYPSoft FTP Server started, you can: Change the root directory of the FTP: Menu Setup> Users> Anonymous> Root directory: click "..." to select the main directory of the FTP server> click on "Save". Disable anonymous account- Menu Setup> Users> Anonymous> check "Disable User Account"> "Save" .

I am also using TYPSoft. You need to create user account so that each user has his book, or to define different rights (for example, reading a directory but not write). Menu Setup> Users> button "New User" to create a new user.
    # Password: Enter the password.
    # Root directory: Select the default directory for that user.
    # Directory Access: Click on the directory and check the boxes download, upload, etc.. to allow the user to upload, download it, or not create directories, etc..
    # You can define different rights to directories.
    # Do not forget to click "Save" to save changes to your user.

You need to connect to your FTP server will ask you to know the IP address of your machine. But for the majority of ADSL subscriptions, it is dynamic, ie it changes regularly. To log in from any-where, you can use an appropriate service. An FTP server is a reliable way to transfer files from one computer to another, especially when sharing folders in Windows.

It is also a convenient way to exchange files with a Linux machine (which can easily access the FTP server even if you can not run Samba). If you ftpfs installed, you can even climb into your tree to access them easily. You can then simply use the cp command to transfer files.Under KDE, in Konqueror, enter IPAddress and you can also copy files by dragging and dropping. With g4u, Knoppix LiveCD or another, it even allows you to make a ghost of your hard disk or transfer files when Windows will not boot.

You need to use FTP client (File Transfer Protocol) filezilla That we use in writing. Of course because it is free but also because its interface has everything we need to transfer files:
    * editor connections
    * SSH connection
    * directory of links already visited
    * data compression loading (faster transfer speed)
    * adjusting the bandwidth
    * Dual adjustable type explorer window (left your hard drive and right remote computer).
    Last edited by Modifier; 15-06-2010 at 06:06 AM.

There are two different things in the concept of a backup site. Share with joomla components, modules and mambots and secondly your database. Everything about the ms, you may do so by ftp on your computer (it does not change often, but when you do mods). Your basic, it changes often and you'd better have a backup automatically. I use my joombackup is a mambot that allows you to do a daily backup system and send you the sql file in a compressed electronic box.

smith.jones159 Guest

In google you can find many of free online back up data store for user. So you can just register that portal and then you can put daily your work and it is very safe to store data.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 03-07-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: External links not allowed, not even in signatures. Removed the same.

leealden06 Guest

Some users of Time Machine using Time Capsule, has encountered problems that Time Machine does not create the backup directory and exits with an error. It was straight forward and technically oriented backup util. You can select the directory you want, indicate what the resulting file, and click Backup.