Thread: Transferring accounts from old to new server

Transferring accounts from old to new server

I want to know that how easily move a account for comprehensive database server to another collecting all user accounts (NT + SQL) with their rights respective course. For information transfer that I do I realize déta error in the database of the old server, then reattach the latter (mdf + ldf) on the new server. Please help. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Re: Transferring accounts from old to new server

If the transfer of data is trivial and with sp_detach sp_attach, It is true that the recovery of users is a bit more complex. There is a DTS task that was specifically designed for this purpose and which allows retrieve all users from one server to another. Check and reply.

This will depend on following rules that we defined:
    * The characters belonging to an active account will have priority.
    * If several people bearing the same name belong to all active accounts, the character with the highest level will keep its name.
    * If the characters have the same level, then the name of the character belonging to the account created in the first place (thus the oldest) will be retained.
    * If the characters belong to accounts created at the same time, it is the character who is logged on more recently and will retain its name.
    * If your character must be renamed, a dialog box will appear at its first connection, asking you to introduce a new name.

You have two classical solutions to transfer files with ACL (essential if you continue to access resources on your Web server with the same accounts) plus the solution the "IIS Migration Wizard, the Resource Kit in the case of migrating IIS5 (IIS4 or IIS5 since).Make the backup directory InetPub (at least) directories if they Databases are on the same server, and any directory more or less concerned by your IIS server. It depends on the implementation of each. I advise you to always keep a list day of this organization. Take care, if is optional in your backup software, to well save the ACL.

However the situation may differ depending very important type of migration you will perform. The case of servers members and domain controllers are quite different in this regard. If you are organized in domain controller, the IUSR_servername which is the default account for anonymous access to your IIS server is therefore a domain account. It may be retained as account access on the new server but then you think to update the IIS configuration of the new server to be configured by default new IUSR_nouveau_serveur to do so. Is what i made during my first migration of IIS4 to IIS4. I did not rework all ACLs web servers and FTP due to Change the anonymous account because there were many changes rights in the tree (mixed public and important parts private).

When my big migration, IIS4 to IIS5, I took that I was not working in the emergency, as the first time and I changed all the ACL system to benefit from the Windows 2000 ACL inheritance, to change this account. And then I squarely decided to create an account myself, for this purpose. I does so at all the IUSR_servername for my anonymous access.