Thread: Differences between Java and Python

Differences between Java and Python

Hello
    Currently I work with C / C + + and I have started the php, so I have the basics of programming (loops, function, condition, pointer) except I do not know OOP. I am looking for a fairly high level language to make software (such as utility or mini games) easily with a graphical interface easier to manage. I made a sort and I still Java and Python which looks a bit and I can not make a choice. There are both portable, "new generation", interpreted, it uses OOP and high-level and free.

Issues for programming :
    - What is the language most widely used today? And in the future?
    - What language is the fastest?
    - The python can be compiled so that the non-java, is it a big advantage to use the python or is it negligible?
    - Which is easier to manage: compilation, debug?
    - Is it easier to go from php / c / c + + to Java or Python?
    - What are the big difference between these two languages?
    If you deviate choose one language (in general) which would you choose?

And advice or suggestion will help me. Thank you.

Re: Differences between Java and Python

What is the language most used today? And in the future?
    It depends. Regarding web software is Java. For everything that has a large structure, java. For what is small and very "directs script" python (java need to be compiled to bytecode). For the future, I do not know. But the two languages are so different that it should coexist.

What language is the fastest?
    Java (except in very rare cases), because it is semi interpreter (compile to bytecode).

The python can be built while the non-java, is it a big advantage to use the python or is it negligible?
    The python is no longer compile the java (to my knowledge), and anyway need the python runtime.

Which is easier to manage: compilation, debug?
    The tastes and colors , that is depends on you

Is it easier to go from php / c / c + + to Java or Python?
    More like Java.

What are the big difference between these two languages?
    - Java is Semi compiled , Python is interpreted
    - Java uses braces to it blocks, Python uses spaces

Ok thank you very much. Therefore this would be the Java language is more professional. I'm going to learn Java but I already know and I use c + + program but rather for who need speed as the mathematical analysis to rank very high. The java is rather to create programs easily but do not need speed. If you have another opinion Do not hesitate.

I have another opinion

What is the language most widely used today? And in the future?
    Java and java. Now it is full gpl, it usually has the future ahead of it.

What language is the fastest?
    Between Python and Java: it's still almost same in terms of speed of execution. Python has an advantage when it is easy to code a piece of code in C or C + + (see boost, swig, pyrex), for pure speed.

The python can be compiled so that the non-java, is it a big advantage to use the python or is it negligible?
    The exact term, it is not compiled, but Freeze ... The goal of the game is to embed an executable in the runtime python, libs desired, and scripts. It is therefore possible to make a standalone executable (see pyinstaller, py2exe, ...), does not require the installation of python.

Which is easier to manage: compilation, debug?
    Assuming that code using vi, in these two languages, so far the pythons take advantage, its interactive mode allows you to test, the compilation is the execution, using an IDE, like Eclipse: java becomes easier to "manipulate", everything is covered in hand in the IDE ...
    there are very good IDE for python also: open komodo is much better than eclipse / pydev for python (in FDI LPG), and also bring you the flexibility

Is it easier to go from php / c / c + + to Java or Python?
    c + + -> java, which are static languages (company where type errors are raised in the compilation)
    php -> python, python is a dynamic language, where php come from

What are the big difference between these two languages?
    Python is dynamic, Java is static, but all are two speak strongly typed. Python interpreted (actually compiled bytecode for interpretation). Java must be compiled into bytecodes. Python uses indentation to define blocks of code, which requires the programmer to write good code, and makes it very easy reading. Python is equally at home with simple scripts with large programs

If you deviate choose one language (in general) which would you choose?
    Python

JPython with, you can make java and generate your. class, while coding in python, it works very well with IronPython, you can make. net and generate your assemblies / exe, while coding in python. It also begins to exist compilers Python -> c + + ... You python codes, and the binary

Thank you for this other point of view. I believe that despite this I'll point to the first Java because it is the most used (if one day I work in programming that will benefit most important), I am afraid it is especially difficult to manage, but apparently that is not the case when using eclipse, and as I'm more comfortable with the C / C + + with the php I think that moving to Java will be easier. I find it hard to understand that with the python just for space to set block. The braces are more "rigorous" is not it?

alexrock23 Guest

Python is more object oriented than Java which is predominantly class based. By that I mean there are lots of objects around in Python where you never see the class. Similarly there are relatively few class methods (static in Java). You can't use Java wthout without seeing at least one class statement.
    Python has much better support for higher order programming,functional programming and, more debateably, meta-programming.
    Last edited by Vigil.M; 24-05-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: No external links allowed

If you are good programs in C or Java, you indent your wholesale code taking into account the level of braces. In Python, it's the same, but you do not put the braces. No question of rigor.