Thread: How to migrate from asp to asp.net

How to migrate from asp to asp.net

Hi,
    I want to perform a migration process. Here I want to migrate my data from asp to asp.net. I had never done this before but due to new addon and supports in asp.net I want to do the migration. I need some information on this process. How to do this and what are the complications involved in this process. I know that this will not fully work there might be some issue after changing the coding system.

Re: How to migrate from asp to asp.net

It is a feature of Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2003 where you can migrate from ASP to ASP.NET. But beware, this tool does not convert all your code, only a part. So that is not good. You have two choice to launch the tool convert. The first is by opening the visual studio and then clicking on the File Menu. Then click on Open and Change. The other way is by running the utility by using console. The paths or file names containing spaces must be enclosed in quotation marks.

Here is a basic sysntax for the migraton. The syntax is ASPUpgrade [. Exe] directoryname [/ Out] [/ nolog | / LogFile] [/ Verbose] [/ ProjectName] [/ ForceOverwrite]. In directoryname you will need to specify the path of the ASP file to convert. In / Out directoryname you will need to specify here the path where the converted file will be saved. In / Nolog will be used for creating a log file during the upgrade. The / LogFile filename will specify the path and name of log file created during the upgrade and / Verbose will displays messages on the DOS window during the upgrade.

After running one or the other option, the Convert tool appears. Select Tool ASP to ASP.NET Migration Assistant'. You have the choice between 'Create new solution' is to say if you want to create a new solution, or another option that allows you to add your project to the solution by default. The wizard will generate files. Aspx files from the original. All references to the original project will be corrected.

When you perform the migration process the the ASP files will be converted to ASP.NET. This tool uses strict rules. A file may contain references to the following locations, the first is its includes files using the script tag. It has Field Action Form, Include Directive, Instructions and Response.Redirect Application.execute and Href tag. But the extensions are not taken into account by the assistant who considers ASP files. Tool Migrating ASP to ASP.NET provides an edge for those wishing to change their web pages or applications in minimal time.