Thread: Difference between PHP and ASP

Difference between PHP and ASP

Hi All,

I need you help to to get solution over my confusion. I am not able to get the exact difference between PHP and ASP. I have referred many PHP and ASP book, but nothing was helpful. Do you any difference between PHP and ASP? If yes then please let me aware about the same. Your any help over PHP and ASP would be greatly appreciable. I am waiting for your reply.

Re: Difference between PHP and ASP

PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is a scripting language that runs server side. The PHP script (ie the sequence of instructions) is interpreted in the PHP scripting language, this means here that it is not compiled. The web servers on which the PHP module is installed then allow execution of PHP scripts, since they operate on the server side (see definition). This is not true for all servers including all hosting of web pages. Before downloading scripts to its online web pages, we must know if your host offers PHP.

Active Server Pages (ASP) is a set of Software Developed by Microsoft and used in the Web Programming.It is a software suite designed to create dynamic websites. It needs to operate a Platform Windows with IIS (Internet Information Services) installed, or a platform Linux or Unix with a modified version ofApache. ASP is actually a structure consisting of objects accessible by two major languages: the VBScript and JScript.

The PHP language has been developed in early autumn 1994 by Rasmus Lerdorf. This scripting language allowed him to keep track of users coming to consult his CV on his website, through access to a database through Queries. Thus, given that many visitors asked him this program, Rasmus Lerdorf put online in 1995 the first version of the program he called Personal Home Page Tools, then Personal Home Page v1.0 (translate Version 1.0 homepage).

The ASP uses a system called COM (Component Object Model, Also known as ActiveX) to server machine resources communication. It then returns to the HTML client via the protocol HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol). The ASP is able to connect to databases, read XML files and has components for the upload management, FTP. It can read and write documents from Office (Excel, Word ...) through the COM system (see above), if Office is installed on the server.

Unlike other CGI scripts written in other languages such as Perl or C the PHP script is included within the page to perform a specific action. We saw with the simple example of "Hello I'm a PHP script!". Thus, lines of PHP code are included between a start tag and end tag (eg <? Php ...? "). This is not the case in the example CGI program above. PHP then mixes the data and programming, which allows really to write scripts in a simple and fast. That does not mean that all PHP scripts required to appear in full in each page.