Thread: How to improve the performance of ADO

How to improve the performance of ADO

Hi all,

A good performance the engine up and running more stable and the momentum generated by more powerful. For me, performance means at least two things, my code to run up and how good my team and myself, how kind of work efficiency. To help you write faster code - quietly accomplished all this, so as to reduce errors. I need the techniques for the ADO, in particular, how ADO to access SQL Server. At the same time, I will also involve a broader scope of application of COM techniques, which apply to all write Visual Basic code. Please suggest. So i want to know that how to improve the performance of ADO.
    Last edited by Muwafaq; 06-03-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Re: How to improve the performance of ADO

When you begin to seek to improve the performance of the program, please consider your application components, or ASP code most of the waiting and processing time is spent where. If you find an application to a lot of time spent waiting to complete the implementation of Open or Execute method, then you should carefully check the server-side query strategy. Including ADO, including all the data access interface, the time to wait for the query results are the same. check and reply.

If you can sure check with a high efficiency, then you can use the techniques described to the performance of ADO code. The techniques presented here will help you in all aspects of the simplification and improvement of ADO programming, including: establishing and maintaining connections, construction and submitted to the faster query processing query results to improve the efficiency of, and so on. In a client / server applications, you can use several ways to build and initialize the database connection to hide the time required to make the application not only be able to open connections, but also does not require the user to wait for the application to start. First of all, you can try to connect asynchronous. Check and reply.

Using asynchronous connection, ADO connection operation started after the connection without waiting for the completion of put control back to the application - so the application can then implement most of the initialization operations to be completed faster event handling form_load . If you close and re-establish the connection time is less than the release of the connection time, connection pool, then the connection is actually immediate. However, in many cases especially when small number of users, so that connection remains open even more practical significance. In the middle-tier component or ASP page within the database query if repeated many times, I suggest you let Connection object remains open. Check and reply.

Another approach is to improve the connection performance, avoid using the DSN with the ODBC. In Microsoft, ODBC has been transferred to Quick Fix Engineering state, it means: Unless the detection of a major BUG, the company will no longer be in the ODBC or its driver on a time-consuming. In addition, consider the performance and deployment issues, ODBC DSN is also a need for concern. DSN must be installed to the client system, the requirements of the registry to find, as compared with the OLE DB connection, it is necessary to establish a connection longer - especially if you use a direct encoding method specified Connection String, this is particularly prominent. Check and reply.

Code and code writers have shown the best performance, please keep in mind the following basic rules: the use of connection pooling and asynchronous connectivity; ADO code and the database server to reduce the frequency of communication; use a COM-first binding technology; unless necessary, try to avoid using costly ADO objects, such as the Recordset and Command objects; if possible, use an alternative Return Status and Output parameters record set. As much as possible to improve the efficiency of the query and, if possible, do not forget to use stored procedures. In detail to tell ADO what you want it to do, to prevent ADO guess your intentions - explicitly specify the ADO CommandType, the use of adExecuteNoRecords like option. Check and reply.