Thread: Array of objects in java

Array of objects in java

Hello,
    For a game, I need a map shown in (grid size nxm). Each box can have different characteristics (type of field, players on this box). If I create an object Case by case I fear that it takes too many resources. I want to know what size take a minimum object in memory. That is I am trying to create array of objects And if there would be a better solution than the table of Case?

Re: Array of objects in java

Hello,
    The size of an object is the sum of the size of its attributes. Whether the pose problem is easy or not, you have to follow this rule.
    Code:
    (sum of the size of attribute * case maximum)
    The above must not exceed say 30% of your RAM. I hope this is correct, but I think you do not have to take a risk by not following this. I hope you will remember this.

Hello,
    If you study your case well, there is no reason. You can create 100,000 spaces, you make a small database for backup, etc.. And do not forget this little maxim which I like very much.
    Some tips for you
    Code:
       1. Do not optimize.
       2. (Experts only) do not optimize yet.
    I think you should follow this in your code.

Hello,
    To optimize has a very wide meaning.

- Optimize the meaning "using an algorithm more efficient" (change of treatment, recasting of all classes) is a good thing in java.

- Optimize the meaning 'think assembler "(minimum booking memory, thinking the power of 2 in the calculations etc..)

To conclude, should see what kind of optimization is spoken of: seek to win a CPU cycle (I exaggerate), or try to win 90% of time with a better algorithm.

Hello,
    Although the study of algo means nothing other than winning processor cycles (or worse, to be generic). I like this maxim, because - I believe - it raises the question: But if I can not optimize, then what can I do to improve my code? ... Should be computer expert, this is not optimal, so what? My answer to me is to do a code of algorithms appropriate service to be rendered. The optimization is simply to be in tune with what to do, just like the real-time systems.

Hello,
    You should know that in Java, an int is coded example of 4 bytes. If your subject has Case 50 attributes of type int, it will only take 200 bytes in memory, which is very low. You can create objects Box 10 000, it will be a total of 2 million bytes, that is to say approximately 2 MB, which is reasonable (The current machines are the order of GB). As the table of Case, it takes almost no resources in memory, is just a mailing list references (addresses) to objects. No problem, you should start taking care of memory allocation when you have a StackOverflow.