Thread: Difference between REALbasic and Cocoa

Difference between REALbasic and Cocoa

Hello guys,

I am IT student, and totally confused between REALbasic and Cocoa. I have basic knowledge about the both REALbasic and Cocoa. I know Cocoa is basically the application program environments. But my problem is that I am not able to find out the exact difference between REALbasic and Cocoa. If anyone know this difference between REALbasic and Cocoa, then please let me know that. I am waiting for your reply.

Re: Difference between REALbasic and Cocoa

Cocoa is a API native object-oriented Development of Apple for its OS Mac OS X. This is one of the five API Major available for Mac OS X, the others being: CarbonThe Macintosh Toolbox (Environment obsolete Classic), POSIX (Environment BSD), And Java. Some environments, such as Perl and Ruby are considered minor, because they do not have access to all features and are generally not used to develop complete applications.

According to my REALbasic knowledge the it is a BASIC programming language dialect. While Cocoa is derived from development environments NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP created by NeXT in the late 1980. Apple acquired NeXT in December 1996 and therefore began to work on the operating system Rhapsody, Assumed to be the direct successor of OPENSTEP. This should be a system emulation applications Mac OS Called Blue Box.

Cocoa is mainly composed of two libraries Objective-C called Frameworks. The Frameworks are similar in functionality to shared libraries - a compiled object that can be dynamically loaded into a memory address of the program during execution - but Frameworks also provide related resources, file header, and documentation provided.

REALbasic is a basically a language with minimal automatic type conversion. While the architecture of Cocoa is a strict application of the MVC. Under OpenStep, most classes provided was either the views of top-level or class models of low-level as NSString. Compared to systems like VMC, OpenStep suffered from the absence of a true model layer. Thus, during the transition to Cocoa, the model layer was greatly extended, making a number of pre-built classes providing basic functionality to desktop applications.