Thread: How to use applets?

How to use applets?

Hello,
    I have a problem because I do not know how to use the applets.
    1. On machine (server? ") Have an application that will access a database oracle
    2. Second Machine (client) have an applet that I will use for authentication first and then access my application.
    So first is what it's like you do to access a remote application? Then how the applet will she appeal to the application? With a URL of the directory containing the application executable? or is it that I can do without the application and how to make the applet can access the oracle database and do all that the application made? If you have and knowledge of this then please help me. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to use applets?

Hello,
    Here is the brief description
    1) Is it not better to make a web application with HTML interfaces rather than through a Java client / server?

2) If you absolutely want an application client side and server side, would it not be wiser to make a Java application rather than applet. Indeed, in this case, the browser become useless.

Generally, if you want to do a client / server with a Java server and client in java, there are several methods:

- A socket with your own protocol
    - RMI
    - Web services
    - EJB

Hope this brief description will help you.

Hello,
    Thanks for you reply because I also wanted to know how to use an applet. It's more clear to me, but why are applets so, in which case the use? In fact my project is quite simple: I need remote access to an Oracle database on a BD Sever, at first I thought that the application must be on the DB server or on an application server and an applet on a client will allow me to access the application, but you just give me an idea that may not need to have my application on any server, simply having on clients, right? I think I am totally confused, if you help me then it would be great.

Hello,
    Here is a small explanation. If you put your database on the client, you will have 1 DB per client which is a priority not what you want. You have several solutions, you have to see what works best but you just instance:

- Making a web application, clients are not soft on their machine, they have just one address, a bit like a website, which is the application server which knows the address of DB server. The advantage is that you do not distribute to your clients, easier for maintenance, by cons ca be a little bit long to load.

- Make a thick client, this time you have to distribute an app to all your customers, typically a Java application, your soft must know the address of the server DB.

Re: Using ther applet for web development

Hello,
    Thank you for the answers this time it's really clear. Initially I'll opt for the solution of the thick client because I have never made a web application, if you can guide me on what it'll be nice. By the way thanks for your help, I have understood the concept of applet in java now, and i am going to start with a small application to code on. If you have any more information or a code that can help me then please post it. Thanks for your help.

Hello,
    I add to the problem of the client, as direct access to DB:
    - The db must be publicly accessible remotely
    - Each user needs an account on the database
    - Difficult to restrict certain data to certain users, unless they each create a database independent.

Try to eliminate these problem in your code and your problem will be clean and easy to reuse. Hope you are understanding the thing quite well now. If you have any more problems then feel free to post.