Thread: How to catch an Exception in Java?

How to catch an Exception in Java?

Hello friends,
    I have recently started with the Java. Before that I have done C++ and HTML programming language. I have done very less coding of the basic Java. Since, I am new to Java I am not having enough knowledge about it. I am confused with an exceptions. So please tell me what are the exceptions.?? And also explain me how to catch an Exception in Java.?? Help me as soon as possible.!!
    "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death... I will fear no evil." -Psalms 23

K8N Diamond Plus (BIOS v1.2)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Antec TruControl 550W
    NVidia GeForce 7900GT (NGO v1.8466 BETA)
    OCZ Platinum 2x1GB (2-3-2-5)
    SATA: WD740
    PATA: 2xWD2500, WD1200, NEC DVD/RW

Re: How to catch an Exception in Java?

The term exception is used for the phrase "exceptional event". You can define exception as an event, which occurs during the execution of a program, that disrupts the normal flow of the program's instructions. Exceptions let you handle unusual error conditions without cluttering your code with nested ifs after every method call. When an error occurs within a method, the method creates an object and hands it off to the runtime system.
    Signatures reduce available bandwidth

You should also know about an object that are used by the Exceptions. The object which is known as an exception object contains information about the error. The information also contains the types and the state of the program when the error occurred. There are two kinds of Exceptions, checked and unchecked. Its main to understand the connection which is like a tree : RuntimeException, Error and Exception are derived from Throwable. RuntimeException is derived from Exception, which is derived from Throwable. Error is derived directly from Throwable.
    IF you hate me, please don't mention it. I know who hates me and who doesn't. You really do not have to make fun of people....

You must write a program in Java that must include the Catch Requirement. In simple words, the code should be able to throw certain exceptions must be enclosed by either of the following :
    • The exception must have a start statement. A try statement that catches the exception. As described in Catching and Handling Exceptions, the try must provide a handler for the exception.
    • A method that specifies that it can throw the exception. Also that method must provide a throws clause that lists the exception.
    Code that fails to satisfy the criteria of the Catch Requirement will not compile.
    "When they give you ruled paper, write the other way..." J.R.J.

I think that once you look at the syntax, the things will become easy for you. The following is the syntax to handle an Exception :
    Code:
    String Trial()
       {
       try
          {
          return ExcepTrial();
          }
       catch ( IOException e )
          {
          return null;
          }
       }