Thread: How to Deploy an Applet?

How to Deploy an Applet?

Hi friends,
    Last time your help was really grateful for me. I have recently started with an Applets. But I don't know how to deploy it. Is there any particular way to do this..?? Please tell me how to Deploy an Applet.?? If possible also provide the coding so that I can use it for my assignment. Please help me as soon as possible.!!
    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.
    -Joe Martin

Re: How to Deploy an Applet?

Before starting with the Applets, you should check your browser that you are using. Is your browser JavaScript interpreter enabled.?? If you are not sure whether your end users' browsers will have the JavaScript interpreter enabled, then instead of using the Deployment Toolkit functions, you can deploy your applet by manually coding the <applet> HTML tag. If you want to deploy the applets that all depends on your browsers. You will have to use the <object> or <embed> HTML tag accordingly.
    IF you hate me, please don't mention it. I know who hates me and who doesn't. You really do not have to make fun of people....

You should know the purpose of an applet tag. The following are the four main purpose of an applet tag :
    • The applet tag lets you specify the "main" class of an applet using the CODE= attribute. The "main" class is situated in the class that extends java.applet.Applet.
    • The applet tag lets you specify the "code base" of the applet using the CODEBASE= attribute.
    • The applet tag lets you specify a width and height for the applet using the WIDTH= and HEIGHT= attributes.
    • The applet tag lets you pass parameters to the applet using the <PARAM> tags.
    "When they give you ruled paper, write the other way..." J.R.J.

You should know the basic thing for deploying the applet. To deploy your applet, you will have to compile the source code first and then package it as a JAR file. The applets can be launched in following two ways :
    1. If you want to launch an applet, you can do that by specifying the applet's launch properties directly in the applet tag. This old way but better way of deploying applets imposes severe security restrictions on the applet.
    2. The other way to launch your applet is by using Java Network Launch Protocol (JNLP). Applets launched by using JNLP have access to powerful JNLP APIs and extensions.

The following are the steps that you need to follow while creating an Applets :
    1. First you will have to start by compiling your applet's Java code. You should also make sure that all class files and resources such as images are in a separate directory.
    2. Then you will have to create a JAR file containing your applet's class files and resources.
    3. After that you will have to create a JNLP file that describes how your applet should be launched.
    4. After creating a JNLP file, you will have to create the HTML page that will display the applet. Invoke Deployment Toolkit functions to deploy the applet.
    5. You will have to place the applet's JAR file, JNLP file and HTML page in the appropriate folder(s).
    6. Lastly open the applet's HTML page in a browser to view the applet.