Thread: How to use SpringLayout in Java?

How to use SpringLayout in Java?

Hi friends,
    I have used many types of the layout managers in Java. I have used Border Layout, Grid Layout, etc. but never heard about the Spring Layout. So thought that instead of searching on Web, it will be better to post here. So explain me what is the Spring Layout. Also please explain me how to use Spring Layout in Java.?? Please help me as soon as possible.
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series

Re: How to use SpringLayout in Java?

Spring Layout are not frequently used, that's why you may be not heard about that.!! According to a set of constraints, a spring layout lays out the children of its associated container. But one big advantage of using that is SpringLayout is a very flexible layout manager that can emulate many of the features of other layout managers. You can also consider SpringLayout as very low-level and you will have to use it with a GUI builder. Its always better to use it with a GUI builder rather than attempting to code a spring layout manager by hand.

Before going for the coding, you should know about the spring layout and the method of it working. So I have provided you with an useful information that may help you a lot. The tasks that are done by the Spring layouts by defining directional relationships, or constraints, between the edges of components. Just take an example so that you can understand it more properly. You might define that the right edge of one component is a fixed distance, say 10 pixels, from the left edge of another component. The position of each edge is dependent on the position of just one other edge, in a a SpringLayout.

You must also know about the Constructor or Method before using that in the coding. The following are the Constructor or Method of SpringLayout :
    • SpringLayout() - This method create a SpringLayout instance.
    • SpringLayout.Constraints getConstraints(Component) - By using this method you can get the constraints associated with the specified component.
    • Spring getConstraint(String, Component) - By using this method you can get the spring for an edge of a component.
    • void putConstraint(String, Component, int, String, Component) - This is a Convenience methods for defining relationships between the edges of two components.
    Signatures reduce available bandwidth

I think that you should have understood little bit of the concepts. After having a look on the coding, I think that it will be easy for you to understand. So I have provided you with the coding that features a label and a text field in a content pane controlled by a spring layout. The following coding explains the same :
    Code:
    public class SpringTrial {
        public static void main(String[] args) {
            Container contentPane = frame.getContentPane();
            SpringLayout layout = new SpringLayout();
            contentPane.setLayout(layout);
            contentPane.add(new JLabel("Label: "));
            contentPane.add(new JTextField("Text field", 25));
            frame.pack();
            frame.setVisible(true);
        }
    }

You may also would use SpringGrid in the SpringLayout. The following is the code that creates and lays out the text fields in SpringGrid :
    Code:
    JPanel pan = new JPanel(new SpringLayout());
    for (int i = 0; i < 12; i++) {
        JTextField textField = new JTextField(Integer.toString(i));
        pan.add(textField);
    }
    SpringUtilities.makeGrid(pan,
                             4, 4, 
                             6, 6, 
                             6, 6);
    IF you hate me, please don't mention it. I know who hates me and who doesn't. You really do not have to make fun of people....