Thread: Control thread speed in java

Control thread speed in java

Hello,
    I've created a program in which an object moves. I wanted to make sure we can see its traces. So I used a Vector and the thread of my program I wrote the code that allows the insertion of x and y position in the Vector. This means that each turn of thread a point is added / drawn. This makes the program go slower than that in advance. I would like to add my points in Vector may be the (speed of thread / 5) How can I control this? Thank you in advance.

Re: Control thread speed in java

Hello,
    The first idea is that instead of Vector, you can use an ArrayList, which is more modern. It works exactly the same and has exactly the same role, his access is a bit faster. However, there was probably something else. How much is he objects registered? You are doing something special with your Vector? Am i correct? I think you should continue with the current code, I think this is correct.

Hello,
    I was also trying to do a similar kind of a program. In my program the time to draw the points recorded in the Vector that was choppy, that's why I have thought that if I put less points in it. The idea is to include less frequently coordinates of the object for more fluidity. I think my problem and the query posted are same. Both have a similar kind of a problem , so, if you have any idea about this then please do post back.

Hello,
    The Vector class are synchronized, it is slowed by the use of Thread. If the object in which you store your contact information is unique per thread, so is not shared between threads, so I advise you to use an ArrayList. But in all cases, except if you have a lot of coordinated, normally a Vector is still quite powerful. Perhaps the problem lies more in the display.

Hello,
    If yes, I think it's because you assume that each loop always executes in milliseconds x, with x constant (you're basically synchronous). This is not true at all (it depends on the scheduling of threads, cpu load, etc. ...). In general, to do this, you must store the start time (start = System.currentTimeMillis ()), and then the new position is a function of time (System.currentTimeMillis () - start). For example, a linear function of time, position (x, y) could be ((current - start) / 200 (current - start) / 50) ... (to increase a pixel x every 5 ms (1 / 200) and a pixel in there every 20 ms (1 / 50).

Hello,
    Thanks for your replies, I am satisfied with your answers. Infact, it is only when I display the traces contained in the vector that starts rowing . And as I redraw each turn of thread the image of my object (which will be moved), I also redraws each round all the points that are in my Vector. It's probably the view. I would like to try so more examples on this and if I have any problem regarding those I will post back here.