Thread: What are the Operators and Expressions in C# ?

What are the Operators and Expressions in C# ?

Hello friends,
    I have recently started doing the C#. Before that I learnt C and C++ programming language. I think that the logic of the operators and expressions in C# should be same as the C and C++ programming language. But I am not confirmed about that.!! Please tell me what are the Operators and Expressions in C# .?? If you provide me the coding for the same, it would be easy for me to understand.!!
    "When they give you ruled paper, write the other way..." J.R.J.

Re: What are the Operators and Expressions in C# ?

A sequence of one or more operands and zero or more operators is an expression. This expression can be evaluated to a single value, object, method, or namespace. A method invocation, a literal value, an operator can be included in the expressions. Simple names can be the name of a variable, type member, method parameter, namespace or type. The expression can range from simple to very complex. Operators that are used in expressions can use the other expressions as parameters. Hope that you got what is expressions.!!

The primary expression operators are important category of operators. The following are the list of the expressions that are commonly used :
    • (x) - This form of the parenthesis operator is used to control precedence, either in mathematical operations or in method calls.
    • x.y - The "dot" operator is used to specify a member of a class or structure where x represents the containing entity and y represents the member.
    • a[x] - Square brackets are used to index into an array.
    • f(x) - This form of the parenthesis operator is used to list the arguments to a method.

An operator, two operands and an assignment makes the basic expression. I have given you an example of expression, so that it would be easy for you to understand, what is an expression :
    Code:
    int Sum = 10 + 20;
    In the above example, that I have mentioned, consists of the (+) operator which is used to add two operands (10 and 20) together. The assignment operator (=) subsequently assigns the result of the addition to an integer variable named Sum.

Like C and C++, C# also provides a range of operators for the purpose of creating mathematical expressions. The following operator can be used in C# :