Thread: Guidelines for high performance website in ASP.Net

Guidelines for high performance website in ASP.Net

Actually I am a new bee to the development environment of this visual web developer. Normally I work on the ASP.Net that is my base for developing the website. I have created three to four websites but the performance of these websites are not up to the mark. Then I thought that there might be a problem in the way I am developing the website in ASP.Net. So I need to know the guide lines for developing a high performance website in ASP.Net.

Re: Guidelines for high performance website in ASP.Net

For designing a high performance website the most important thing is the way you connect to the database through the ASP.net coding. For that matter you have to take care about the round trip you need for doing a specific task. The maximum number of round trip will reduce the performance level of the website, hence you must complete the require task in the minimum possible round trips.

Re: Use paged data access

If you need to display a lot of amount of data through the use of data grid then you must use the paged data access for that purpose. I will try to explain it with example. Suppose you have to display more than 1000 records to your client then one thing is for sure that your client cannot see the whole 1000 thousands records at a time. The maximum record your client can see are 25. So it will be a better idea to go for page data access which can load faster with the 25 record compare to the 1000 records.

Re: Connection Pooling is also a good option

If you facing the performance problem of your website because of the connection to the SQL server, then connection pooling is the best solution for it. One more thing using the TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) connection for that purpose is really expensive. The same performance can be achieved using the connection pooling. Connection pooling allow the application to reuse the connection which is once established to database.

For increasing the performance using the gzip compression is a better idea. Because this compression can reduce the number of bytes send to the server. Due to this your web page will load faster and indirectly this will help increasing the performance level. The advantage of using this is that any time you need you can decrease the amount of data returned for serving the more request per second.

Using the server control view state will definitely increase the performance level of your website. Because it is very powerful capability that allows the state of the page to be persisted with the client. What more this does not requires cookies or the server memory for this purpose. By default viewstate property is set to true but if do not want it to be enabled you can do the same by disabling the viewstate property. If you want to disable whole page property you do that by using the below command.