Thread: How to create Menu using ASP?

How to create Menu using ASP?

Hello Friends,
    I am making a small project in ASP. I am making that project on the web page. I don't want to use the multitude of links. Instead of that I think that using the menu would be much better. But I don't know the exact way to create the menus in ASP. So please tell me how to create Menu using ASP? Hoping that someone would help me fast.!!
    I do to dead flowers what people at morgues do to dead people. Suck all the moisture out, dip them in plastic, paint them up pretty and put them in a nice frame.

Re: How to create Menu using ASP?

It is always better to use the menu instead of multiple links. Creating the menus help to allow the users to quickly access information by a single click. In ASP you can use the menus of following type :
    • You can create sub menus in ASP.
    • You can also add a vertical or horizontal menu.
    • Customize the look and feel of the menu itself

The main advantage of doing this coding in ASP is that you can do this with the minimum of coding and without having to develop or add any third-party libraries.

Even I think that for making your web page more better you would have to use the menus. You can add the simple menu to an ASP Web Page. I have tried to give you an idea for inserting menu in ASP. Like all ASP functionality an ASP menu runs is generated on the server and not on the client. So the first step is to tell the browser that is going to happen. You can do this by using the following code :
    HTML Code:
    <html>
    <head runat="server"></head>
    Also you should know that the menu consists of an “item” tag. The ASP menu items is shown in the coding :
    HTML Code:
    <items>
    <asp:menuitem navigateurl="home.aspx" text="Home">
    </asp:menuitem>
    <asp:menuitem navigateurl="service.aspx" text="Service">
    </asp:menuitem>

Nowadays there are much number of database-driven web sites. Such sites run from some form of content management system. The thing for telling you this is that simple menus cannot play an important role for such scenario. In such cases navigation menus need to be dynamically created. And you should create in such manner that the links should be pulled from the database. You can create a menu from a list of links stored in an Access database, using the ASP Server Model and the Dreamweaver Server. For doing this you would have to create a Recordset, connect to the database, etc.

You can also build ASP menus with Menu Maker. If you want to create some menus in ASP using the Menu Maker, then follow the steps that I mentioned below :
    1. You will have to start by launching the Menu Maker.
    2. For opening the properties of the menu maker, you would have to double click on the menu item.
    3. Then enter ASP variable like the menuitem and then click OK.
    4. Export JS file (menu.js).

In this way you can create menu with ASP entry.