Thread: Use of assertion in java

Use of assertion in java

Hello friends,

I have to ask one question regarding the assertion of java programming. I am not able to understand the assertion in java. I don't know the exact use of assertion in java. I have referred various java programming books but didn't get enough information over this. If you know the use of assertion in java, then please let me know that. You help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Use of assertion in java

Hi,

Assertions contain Boolean expressions that define the correct state of your program at specific points in the program source code. Assertions can be used to detect errors that may otherwise go unnoticed.Use assertions for internal consistency checks, i.e. to indicate you screwed up, not the user of your class. Assertion used to presents an overview of design by contract. I hope now you have understood the assertion concept.

In java programming language "assertion" is basically used to represents an overview of design by contract. Standard Edition (J2SE) released 1.4 which comprises built-in facility for assertion. It shows how to roll your own assertion capabilities. It also comprises the information about how to use assertions. It important advantages of this is that is has guidelines for to use assertions. You can use assertions to detect errors that may otherwise go unnoticed.

An assertion reflects a state that should not ever occur & wasn't expected, where the application cannot continue executing for one reason or another, whereas an exception indicates a state that is not considered "normal", but that was not unexpected, and from which it might be possible to recover. Assertions contain Boolean expressions that define the correct state of your program at specific points in the program source code.assertions are most useful during the debugging phase, whereas exceptions are considered part of regular program flow and error handling.

An assertion in java programming has a Boolean expression and which, if evaluated as a false, indicates a bug within in the code. The advantage of Assertions is that it improve the odds that the behavior of a class that expectations of its clients. It also helps for the developers write code that is more correct, more readable, and easier to maintain. Assertions in java language is excellent for documenting assumptions and invariants about a class. This mechanism provides a way to detect when a program starts falling into an inconsistent state.

An assertion has a Boolean expression that, if evaluated as false, indicates a bug in the code. The assertion used to detect the unnoticed errors. Assertions includes the boolean expressions and which define the correct state of the java program at specific points in the program source code. The designers of the Java platform, however, didn't include support for assertions. This mechanism provides a way to detect when a program starts falling into an inconsistent state.