Thread: Difference between VB, VB.NET and C#

Difference between VB, VB.NET and C#

I made a long study to choose my first programming language. My choice was fixed on the DOTNET starting with C# (very nice people have encouraged me). I said I want my own self-forming and therefore I say things I do not know, with words that are fairly abstract for me.

I install everything that I want on my PC:

- Visual C# 2008 Express Edition: for learning C# 2 or 3
    - Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition: to learn to program dynamic websites in C#/asp.net
    - SQL Server 2005 Express Edition: for managing databases

Finally I run Visual Basic - I made my first little program, but is what I'm doing the C#? I do not think I doubt... There are many code but is it C#?

So my first program was done in VB.NET and not VB?

As you can see my ideas are confused because I have not found the document summarizing things clearly for a beginner.

What is the best tutorial for my goal? I searched the FAQ but I have not found anything on that. In short can you explain me what is the difference between VB, VB.NET and C#?

Re: Difference between VB, VB.NET and C#

vb.net and c# are the same two languages on many points but by just difference in syntax

vb.net:
    Code:
    dim b as string
    If variable = value then
      ' processing
    end if
    c#
    Code:
    string b;
    if (variable == value)
    {
        // processing
    }
    C# is case sensitive also. The remaining differences is a bit of trifle. In 2 cases the program is compiled in the same way and gives the same thing once compiled.

So the choice between VB and C#, you're seeing what you prefer, knowing that when one knows one and one is not allergic to the syntax of the other can be both

For Vb.net it must be Visual Basic Express
    For c# you require visual c# express
    For the site you must develop in visual web (which leaves you may be with the choice between vb and c #)

Express versions are free (by paying ago visual studio standard and pro managing all .Net languages)

vb is for everything, but vb.net is latest. sql server 2005 is bit complicated

Since Visual Studio 2008 (or equivalent term) can make windows forms exe choosing the framework used (2 or 3.5 in bulk); everything in the framework 2 is still working on an app in 3.5. It is now possible to make exe wpf or web apps XBAP

Small precision, however, tend to more easily find information and source code in C# than the reverse, and so it is common to see beginners VB.Net application which help to translate the code from C# to VB.NET, the reverse is rare.

Although both languages can do the same thing (except perhaps unsafe code is not supported by the vb.net) there is a lot more code sources, examples, etc. in C # than VB.Net. But right after it is in good taste between programmers.

- Visual C# 2008 Express Edition: for learning C# 2 or 3
    - Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition: to learn to program dynamic websites in C#/asp.net
    - SQL Server 2005 Express Edition: for managing databases
    With these 3 programs you have everything you need to get started. SQL 2008 does not bring you much compared to 2005, atleast to start, so you can stay with the 2005 without problem.
    Finally I run Visual Basic - I made my first little program, but is what I'm doing the C#? I do not think I doubt... There are many code but is it C#?
    In Visual Basic, you code in Visual Basic.NET. In Visual C #, you code in C # ...

VB is the "ancestor" of VB.NET, it is not really news (though not many people still use it). Needless to learn a language that is already outdated, plus you'll be in trouble to get VB6 ...

Quite OK with what has been said above, I would add that learning the C # enables you to more easily understand Java or C++ if the case arises. As for VB6, Microsoft has made sure that the syntax of VB.Net looks great, but do not mistake, this is unrelated .NET technology.

Finally, I think it is much easier to learn C# and VB.Net to get more later once you know the framework, the opposite (automations of VB, which facilitate the life and reading the code but when you give service to the apprehension of new languages).

For SQL Server, the functionality provided by the 2008 version does not interest you as an apprentice developer mainly new types of data, it is better to understand once the SQL 'standard' swallowed, new Enhanced replication, reporting, etc.). The 2005 version is quite enough, knowing that in two years max you will necessarily need to know about 2008, the 2005 Express editions will normally stop running. But again, as a developer you will not see the difference.