Thread: Is it possible to import or Export SQL Server diagram

Is it possible to import or Export SQL Server diagram

Hi, i have a very short query here and hope you guys can help me out of this. One of my friend using Windows Server 2003 need some help regarding SQL Server database diagram. Actually he need to import and export some diagram to another database. We don't have any idea about these. I just wanted to know is that possible ? If yes, please let me know how can we import and export SQL Server diagram ? Thanks in advance..

Re: Is it possible to import or Export SQL Server diagram

Yes offcourse it is possible. You can easily import or export a diagram of a database to another database. To do so, just go through these steps:-

• First of all right click on the database and than select All Tasks and than click on Export data.
    • On the next screen you'll see Import / Export assistant, click Next.
    • Now configure the source database and click Next again.
    • Here configure the destination database and click Next.
    • Now click on the option 'Use a query to specify a data transfer' on Specify Copy or Query Table.
    • Click Next
    • Now type 'Select * From dtproperties' on the "Enter the SQL statement and click on Next.
    • You'll get the new screen with 'Select all tables and views sources'. Here you need to select the table dtproperties in the destination.
    • Once done, click on Next.
    • Now click on 'Run immediately' on the next page that is 'Save, schedule and replicate the lot' and click Next.

When this is completed, click on Finish and you are done.

I don't know much about that but have seen some people exporting SQL Server diagram. They simply right click on the empty white space on the Diagram and click on the option 'Copy Diagram to Clipboard'. Once it is done, they open Paint and paste there. I don't know whether its a good way of exporting, but i am still in the search of another way of doing the same. Will,let you know as soon as i get it.

To move a database diagram that was created in SQL Server Enterprise Manager, just follow the following steps:-

1. Expand the Databases folder.
    2. Right-click the database that contains the diagram that you want to copy, click All Tasks, and then click Export Data
    3. In the Data Transformation Services Import/Export Wizard, click Next.
    4. On the Choose a Data Source page, click Next.
    5. On the Choose a Destination page, select the server and database to which you want to transfer the database diagram. Click Next.
    6. On the Specify Table Copy or Query page, click to select the Use a Query to specify the database to transfer check box, and then click Next.
    7. On the Type SQL Statement page, type the following line, and then click Next:
      select * from dtproperties
    8. On the Select Source Table and Views page, click the Results destination, and then change it to dtproperties. Click Next.
    9. On the Save, Schedule, and Replicate Package page, click to select the Run Immediately check box, and then click Next.
    10. On the Completing the DTS Import/Export Wizard page, click Finish.
    11. Click OK, and then click Done to exit the wizard.