Thread: Not able to open C++

Not able to open C++

I don't know much about the Software. I have installed the C++ on my system which is not working properly. The same was working on my friend's system. So can you tell me where I might have gone wrong?? I am getting the error when I double click on the TC.EXE. The screen goes blank for sometimes and then I am able to see the error mentioning that "Turbo C++ IDE The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction." Also close to terminate the application. This error message comes on Window with title bar 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem. Please help me to solve this issue..!!
    Last edited by Viensterrr; 09-01-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Signatures reduce available bandwidth

Re: Not able to open C++

I am not much used to Turbo C++, but I think that the Error Message that you are getting is due to the 16 bit application. I would like to suggest you to change that and get a 32 bit version. Since you said that the Error that you are getting is displaying the Window with title bar 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem. I think that after installing the 32bit version your problem should be fixed. Also I recommend to use the good IDE for the Windows. Hope that installing the 32bit version solves your problem.

Have you tried to change the Display Settings.?? If not try to change that to the 16bit and then try to run your application. You can change the Display settings by following the steps :
    • Right click on the desktop.
    • Then select the properties by just clicking on it.
    • Then select the Settings Tab from there. (should be last tab)
    • In that change the Color Quality to the 16bit.
    • Then click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
    • Reboot your system and then try to Run the application again.

Even I think that the 16bit is causing the problem. Even I installed the Turbo C++ on my system but I never got such Errors. Try to change the settings of your system to the 16bit and then run the application. If that is not working for you then you will have to install the 32bit version on your system. Many times there are the compatibility issues of the 16bit version on the 32bit Windows operating system. So it would be better to change the setup of TC++ to the 32bit. Maybe the different version is reason for not opening the Turbo C++.

If anything is not working for you then try to uninstall the application and install it again. But be sure that before reinstalling the application, the existing application should be removed properly. Many times without removing the existing application the re-installation doesn't make sense, since the new files are not overwritten on the older files. So if you wish to reinstall the application first remove the existing and just don't repair the software. Some files might have not copied properly while doing the installation.

I think that you should download the good C++ compiler. Many times the compiler also cause an issue while opening the C++ setup. I would like to recommend you to go for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express. The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express is currently available for download, free of charge, from Microsoft's site. This compiler allows you to create programs for the .NET framework as well as native Win32 programs. It comes with an optimizing C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static libraries.

I don't know much about the Software. I have installed the C++ on my system which is not working properly. The same was working on my friend's system. So can you tell me where I might have gone wrong?? I am getting the error when I double click on the TC.EXE. The screen goes blank for sometimes and then I am able to see the error mentioning that "Turbo C++ IDE The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction." Also close to terminate the application. This error message comes on Window with title bar 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem. Please help me to solve this issue..!!

You need to download DosBox for windows and then open it . in it type the following code:
    z:\> mount c:\TC
    z:\>c:
    c:\>cd BIN
    c:\BIN>tc
    the tc ide will appear in which set the Options->Directories : change directory path to C:\Include and C:\Lib instead of C:\TC\Include and C:\TC\Lib and click on OK. Now when using graphics in initgraph(&g,&h,"C:\\BGI"); here C:\\BGI is used instead of C:\\TC\\BGI. You will have to always make above settings whenever dosbox will be used. And also now is you compile and run your program through Ctrl + F9 and if dosbox closes then you should use F4 or F8 keys. F8 line by line compiling and F4 compiles till cursor position , if F4 is used then place cursor position on the closegraph() code and after seeing the output you can use Ctrl+F9 or F8 function keys to complete the program execution.

Not able to open C++

Hello dear,

You need to check your backup that you have for installation and one more thing try to execute directory, where you are going to install, Are you using turboC or visual C or C++ where as about the error: You are suffering from some compatibility issues which is related to your compilation of processor...

i think u r righti use AMD athlon(tm) processer LE-1620

i use AMD athlon(tm) processer LE-1620.........
    Please help me to solve this issue..!! Please help me to solve this issue..!!
    & ya this is not a 16 or 36 bits problem i chek it
    Last edited by soni arth; 10-05-2010 at 10:48 PM.

& ya this is not a 16 or 36 bits problem i chek it

Have you tried another software called PureBasic which works smilarly like C++ compiler. It usually emulates an x86 processor with DOS and it will work nicely. You can also try to get an old CD- Rom based installation disk for MS-DOS and run it in Microsoft Virtual PC. Hope that helps