Thread: How to tune up SQL server performance

How to tune up SQL server performance

Hi,

I am using SQL server 2005 as a back end in my project, but i find slow SQL Server performance and its sucks my project that is on VB.NET 2005. Please suggest how to beat performance of SQL server and also monitoring. Thanks in advance.

SQl server performance is the most complicated issue. I will find some idea that .you need to review key database and server configuration settings SQL server. You can also want to see how much physical RAM is devoted to SQL Server's data cache, monitor the SQL Server Buffer Manager Object and Cache Size. This number is presented in pages, so you will have to take this number and multiply it by 8000 to determine the amount of RAM in 1000 that is being used. You can also Execute real-time traces on SPID and kill processes.
    Last edited by Reegan; 09-01-2010 at 05:24 AM.

Re: How to tune up SQL server performance

You must review job histories and backup completion for boost up the sql server performance.You need to get a feel of how busy SQL Server is, monitor the SQLServer: SQL Statistics: Batch Requests/Sec counter. You can also monitor database size and trends. You need monitor the SQL Server Access Methods object that is Page Splits/sec. If you want more tips then reply me.

You should monitor key resource consumption metrics like CPU and I/O for SQL server. If your databases are suffering from deadlocks, you can track then by using the SQL Server Locks Object: Number of Deadlocks/sec. Monitor windows server performance counters and custom counters can also help for increasing performance of SQL server. Use also the Profiler's ability to track deadlocks.

Please identify query performance trends that could spell trouble in SQl server 2005. SQL Server also performance data is stored in the central SQL diagnostic manager repository and enabling DBA to create a variety of reports for strategic analysis like trend analysis, capacity planning, data comparison, data correlation, and forecasting. that decreasing the speed. of server. You can also find and fix index fragmentation.

You need to find blocking and locking issues in sql server 2005. You can also download and install SQL diagnostic manager v6.1 from website that is free available tool. It can increase the performance of SQL server 2005 by 80 %. It continuously monitors the entire SQL Server environment and provides immediate, customized notifications when performance issues are discovered. So try this and reply.