Thread: How to make an Instant Messenger Application ??

How to make an Instant Messenger Application ??

Hi Everyone out there,
    I just thought to make an instant messenger application that can be installed on a PC. Also I am thinking to make a online version of it also so you can chat with users that didn't install the application. Do you think that it is possible.?? Hope that you will help me for getting those codes. Waiting for your help.!!
    ~*~Silent~Kid~*~
    "To The World You May Be Just One Person, But To One Person You May Be The World"

re: How to make an Instant Messenger Application ??

You have not mentioned the language that you will prefer to do the coding. I think that you can use the C++, since many people know this language and you will get the proper help. Also C++ is not hard to use, so it would be better to do the coding in C++ even if you don't know much about the coding needed for that application. You can also use the other languages like JAVA and .NET but they are much difficult when compared to the C++. So it's up-to you to decide the language for the coding.

Re: How to make an Instant Messenger Application.??

If you are thinking to make an Instant Messenger Application by suing the C++, then here is some description about that. You will have to create the software having the two parts :
    1. Client application for Windows that will be downloaded and used by the members of your community.
    2. Server-side script for PHP/MySQL that should be running on your server and connect client applications located on remote computers.

Hope this can be useful when you try to make an Online Application.

re: How to make an Instant Messenger Application ??

You can also create a Java-based instant messenger application using Jabber. This is somewhat difficult but once if you are clear with the concepts, you will find easy to do rather than doing it in C++. Since in C++ your coding will be much lengthy when compared to the Java. So I would recommend you to do the coding in Java. I think that using Jabber will make you easy to create the coding, Since it has great features as described below :
    • It lets you build custom client IM applications.
    • Is an XML-based messaging protocol that is open and extensible
    • It lets you extend the functionality of the server to process custom messages by writing server-side plug-ins.

If you are making the Instant Messenger Application, here are some basic features that your application must contain. I think that your Instant Messenger should be of Online Version otherwise it will have no sense. These are the basic features of Online Version of your Application :
    • The application should able to connect to server.
    • It should registers new users
    • Logs in
    • Gets present information
    • The application should Exchange the messages
    • And it should do the custom interactions.

Just keep in minds these basic things while making the code.

Also while making the Online Version of Instant Messenger Application the Authentication should be provided. So that the strangers cannot log in your application. While making the Authentication, I think that you will have to create the database to store the User Name and the Passwords of the respective members. By doing this you can make the legal users to log into your application.

Messenger

i wan to make a instant messenger for android phones through java. similar to blackberry messenger using pin.

can i get a head start how to layout the plans and how to start