Thread: Debugging mode in Cobol

Debugging mode in Cobol

Hello,
    I use cobol language, truly speaking I am a beginner to this language. I have a question for you guys. Is there a JCL or another method to debug a batch, line by line ? If yes please help me with this. Thank you.

Re: Debugging mode in Cobol

Hello
    I think you require these tools first.
    XPEDITER: Compuware
    InterTest: C.A.
    Debug Tool: IBM
    All these products (for a fee, but even COBOL is a product fee) can make debugging very sharp, but all require prior training in products. With these it is also possible product that can 'play' scenarios to test batch or TP. No luck, all these have their own game rules. In other words, training prior to install product is necessary and usually a mini-doc home site gives at least the basics of using. Otherwise, there is always the possibility of activating a 'trace' of paragraphs called in batch and encode the clause 'With Debugging Mode' which will take into account all COBOL preceded by a 'D' Col.7.

Hello,
    To continue the debugging mode if you want to do the equivalent of the READY TRACE, a display of all the paragraphs executed without having to make each display, add this just after the PROCEDURE DIVISION. For your other DISPLAY, put a D in column 7. and these would be executed only if the closed With debugging mode is enabled on the SOURCE-COMPUTER.

Hello
    For complete indications XFANX there are 2 things:
    1) declarative clauses will encode the beginning of procedure division. As for the D-collar. 7, are activated via the clause with debugging mode. As against this subsection called trace is activated by a parm in the exec after a '/'. So, unlike the D-collar. 7, a trace of paragraphs activated in the JCL. On the other hand, there are restrictions with other possibilities in this case cobol (TEST (SYM)).
    2) It's pretty talkative so fairly quickly difficult to follow. 2 For these reasons I prefer the use of sound instruction followed with a D-neck. 7. Not necessarily to just DISPLAY but what we want in COBOL, counting pre-index, CALL module trace, zoom on intermediate calculations and all that it wants ultimately based on PB.
    Last edited by Praetor; 02-01-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Hello
    Except of course to have the settings in the CEEPRM THE DEBUG in default which is often the case on the test LPAR. Thank you for your clarification, the above post is been clearly explained and good for understanding.

Hi
    For what I see most often is the facility closest to LE defects IBM, therefore, rather without DEBUG in particular, which starts operating on the sites, even on an LPAR development. The only real trap c. is this normal ALL31 (ON) by default and also prohibits to provide programs AMOD (24) and AMOD (ANY) (but still 24 per COBOL DATA). Like almost everywhere there are still old blunderbusses AMOD 24, it had to be careful to replace these defects, though rather more efficient, by at least ALL31 (OFF) and STACK (,, BELOW), otherwise, galley assured.