Thread: Is it possible to store video files in a database??

Is it possible to store video files in a database??

Hello everyone, I am creating a website and obviously, it also includes a database. This website includes video clips and even reference to a video clip's location. So, I was thinking is it possible to store video files in a database. If yes, how? Is it a safe and a good practical approach by storing video files in a database. People with knowledge related to videos and database are required to give their views and valuable suggestions.
    Last edited by Chandranath; 27-11-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Re: Is it possible to store video files in a database??

It may be possible to store videos in a database, but I dont think that it a practical approach to do so. Rather store them in a folder that is contained on the server. You need to give a reference in the database field as a text or an integer. Following is an example that shows how to do so:
    Table Structure
    VideoId Int
    VideoNum Varchar or Int
    VideoId VideoNum
    1 video_1.file_format
    2 video_2.file_format
    3 video_3.file_format
    The folder that is contained in the database will have the files of the video as video_1.file_format, video_2.file_format, video_3.file_format, etc.

How could you even think of the possibility of storing the video files in a database? It is absolutely not possible. Actually it not work only. If you want to include video files in a website and that through via a database, then it is required to store the files on a file system. Then, you will have a URL path for every particular video file. This URL path is the field that is required to be stored on the database and not the video as a whole.
    Last edited by opaper; 27-11-2009 at 04:53 AM.

I also tried to check the possibility of storing video files in a database when I was doing some kind of same project as yours. Actually, it does not allow you to store video files in a database. Instead, it gives an error. I do not know what type of scripting language or database you are using. Or else, I could have suggested a reply according to that. But, generally to do so, we you need to convert the video file into binary stream and store the same in the LOB fields.