Thread: Difference in SQLite and SQLite3 query result

Difference in SQLite and SQLite3 query result

For a project, I am trying to read a table containing transactions. I use the following code:
    Code:
    /** 
         * Import pending transactions records from the database 
         * @return HashMap containing deposit and associated account 
         */
        public HashMap<Deposit, Account> importPendingTransactions() {
            HashMap<Deposit, Account> pendingTransactions = new HashMap<Deposit, Account>();
            Statement stat = null;
            try {
                stat = dbConnection.createStatement();
                ResultSet transactionRS = stat.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM " + PENDING_TRANSACTION_TABLE + ";" );
                while (transactionRS.next()) {
                    // Convert SQL Date to Java one. 
                    Date transactionDate = new Date(transactionRS.getDate(TRANSACTION_DATE).getTime());
                    Deposit depositTransaction = new Deposit(transactionRS.getFloat(TRANSACTION_AMOUNT), transactionDate);
                    ResultSet accountRs = stat.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM " + ACCOUNT_TABLE + " WHERE " + ACCOUNT_ID + "=" + transactionRS.getString(TRANSACTION_ACCOUNT) + ";" );
                    Account userAccount = null;
                    while (accountRs.next()) {
                        userAccount = new Account(accountRs.getInt(ACCOUNT_ID), accountRs.getString(ACCOUNT_NUMBER), Account.ACCOUNT_TYPE.CREDITCARD_ACCOUNT, accountRs.getFloat(ACCOUNT_BALANCE));
                    }
                    accountRs.close();
                    if (userAccount != null) {
                        // Add transaction & account couple to the hashmap. 
                        pendingTransactions.put(depositTransaction, userAccount);
                    }
                }
                // Close Accounts Result Set 
                transactionRS.close();
            } catch (SQLException e) {
                Logger.getAnonymousLogger().log(Level.SEVERE, "Failed to execute SQL request to import pending transactions: " + e.getLocalizedMessage());
                return null;
            } finally {
                if (stat != null) {
                    try {
                        stat.close();
                    } catch (SQLException ex) {
                        // Ignore exceptions in finally 
                    }
                }
            }
            Logger.getAnonymousLogger().log(Level.INFO, pendingTransactions.size() + " pending transactions imported." );
            return pendingTransactions;
        }
    My problem is that my SQLite query returns a single line, whereas when I manually browse the table using sqlite3, I have dozens of transactions. How is this possible? Am I only one or it is common?

Re: Difference in SQLite and SQLite3 query result

I am not an expert in SQLite, but it would not because you do a 2nd query in the first, from the same Statement of the same connection? The minimum would be to create a new statement for the 2nd query.

But personally I advise you to make a single query with a join table which will be MUCH more efficient. In this way:

SELECT t.date, t.amount, ua.id, ua.number, ua.balance FROM transactions t, user_accounts ua WHERE t.user_account_id = ua.id

Why I have not thought about that before! The problem was actually that I used the same statement for both applications. I was really confused after doing all that. And thank you for the advice on the joint. It is a test project so I am just manipulating data, and performance is really in the background

Joins is really a minimum SQL, especially in this case where there is a clear need to use them. I thought that you do not understand SQL. And more, it makes your code more simple. SQL joins are used to query data from two or more tables, based on a relationship between certain columns in these tables. But please note that JOIN returns rows if and only if there is at least one match in both tables.