Thread: Help with nvgts.sys

Help with nvgts.sys

Hello, I just made an account especifically to ask for help with a driver problem. Since I am a bit desperate I apologize if this has been solved, but I have searched this and other forums and the problems with this driver seem to be related with SATA DVD drives, and I've just tested disconnecting my DVD drive even though it wasn't SATA I think, so that doesn't seem to be the problem, not to mention that the computer was running perfectly fine until yesterday and I haven't made any hardware changes.

What I have done recently that I think could've caused the problem is deleting some files in the TEMP folder and in another folder called Presets inside the WINDOWS folder I believe. I was hesitant about deleting them but I did it anyway because I thougth they were temporary. In addition, on the same day I kept getting Avira warnings about some virus (which I sadly can't remember the name of) but it appeared in C:\ simply as Setup.exe or Update.exe. After that I ran a full scan and told Avira to fix the problems. Later I decide to restart my computer, and I get a (black, not blue) screen saying that Windows can't be started because

System32\Drivers\nvgts.sys is either damaged or missing.
    I tried not to panic (I had formated relatively recently and I personalize my computer a lot, so going through all that all over again makes me want to give up on computers), and even if the screen says that I should repair it with the Windows CD I have a feeling that won't work. I will try that anyway, but I have to wait until later because I don't have the CD I used to install the OS - but I do have a different CD of the same Windows and in an act of hope I tried with that, but it doesn't show any repair options. I went one step further and installed Windows in a different disc to try to see if I could find this nvgts.sys file and copy it from one Windows to the other, but it's not here. It is however still in the other drive so I guess that rules out missing and the file is somehow damaged.

I've tried installing nVidia drivers but I don't see how that could help me since the problem is in another disk which I can't get into, not even via safe mode.

I am (and was) running Windows XP SP3, and my motherboard is an ASUS M2N-MX SE.

I'd be extremely grateful if someone could help me, and since I'm new here, if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.

Re: Help with nvgts.sys

The driver which controls SATA drives is the afore mentioned nvgts.sys and causes the system to BSOD, very often. You might try disable SATA in bios and use IDE instead see if it passes the BSOD? For more information , you can check out the following links.

Manual Textmode Integration of Nvrd32.sys/ Nvgts.sys

nvgts.sys BSoD Issues

Hope so it may resolve your above issue.

Are your video drivers and chipset drivers up to date?NVGTS.SYS is related to NVIDIA nForce(TM) Sata Performance Driver. nvgts.sys is installed for both RAID and non-RAID; the RAID driver also includes nvrd32.sys.

The thing is, I doubt it's hardware related since if it was I couldn't be writing this now, since I'm using the same computer.

I think the drivers were up to date not long before this happened, but I don't know how I can update them from this Windows when the problem is in another Windows that I can't even log into safe mode.

@Mindspace: I've read the first thread you posted and it's a bit over my head, so I'll try that if everything else fails.

Thanks!