Thread: Optical character recognition in java phone

Optical character recognition in java phone

I have been thinking to implement the optical character recognition system in the mobile phone using java application. Like i have a nokia 2700 phone and i want to develop a java application that would convert the text from the image taken by the camera into editable text. Is this possible? Please help...

Re: Optical character recognition in java phone

The idea seems to be fascinating, but there have been thoughts like this before too. This is not possible yet because the quality of our mobile cameras are not that high. Secondly, image processing needs a very fast calculating device which our mobile cannot handle. Third, you need a special hardware to determine text, our mobile camera cannot detect it. This technology will take time. You can experiment with it if you have a good hardware.

I think you should research on this topic before you start with any experiment. You should research on Java applications, its limitations, API used and can be used and also the OCR system functioning. The OCR java application is almost impossible at the moment due to the limitations of any mobile phone. But still you can do it if you have the required source, both hardware and software.

There was a java application which senses motion using a mobile phones camera, if that is possible why not OCR? Well i will need to do a research as suggested by noverism. Anyways thanks for sharing your ideas. I will keep posting about the updates...