Thread: Does PHP5 Inheritance has different features that PHP4

Does PHP5 Inheritance has different features that PHP4

I am aware about the functioning of Inheritance in different language and it's syntax remains the same but recently I have installed PHP5 and working on that I have not also even work on PHP4 but I read about the Inheritance in PHP4 so I just wanted to ask the Inheritance in php5 remains the same or it has any significant changes.

Re: Does PHP5 Inheritance has different features that PHP4

The object oriented features of PHP 5 are leaps and bounds more complete than PHP 4. Inheritance is the mechanism of deriving a new class from an existing class. It allows a sub-class / child class to share/inherit the attributes and behaviors of a base-class or parent class. In fact, PHP 5 could almost pass for a true object oriented language in many ways: visibility, overloading, reflection, etc.

PHP 5 is very very flexible in accessing member variables and member functions. Access specifiers specify the level of access that the outside world (other objects and functions) have on the data members / member functions of the class. You cannot type hint string or int/integer in a method signature. Please note that all data members and member functions are public by default. So, while interfaces certainly have their place, and I know the complications that true (C++) multiple inheritance can add, something in the middle would be nice, in both Java and PHP.

In general, I believe the whole point of interfaces over MI is that MI is evil, so you shouldn't try to route around the language or you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. A private access specifier is used to hide data and member functions. A method or data member declared as private can only be accessed by the class itself and neither the outside program nor the derived class can have access to it.