Thread: How to Handle the Error Control Operator in PHP

How to Handle the Error Control Operator in PHP

In my error handler, I need to be able to detect when the error-control operator was used to suppress errors, because some external libraries (sadly) use it a lot and I sees some documentation: where they have mentioned the following things "error_reporting() settings will have no effect and your error handler will be called regardless - however you are still able to read the current value of error_reporting and act appropriately. What is it how do I deal with it.

Re: How to Handle the Error Control Operator in PHP

If the track_errors feature is enabled, any error message generated by the expression will be saved in the variable $php_errormsg. Operator precedence is working against you in this instance. The operation involving offset operation is before before the error blocking operator is considered. This variable will be overwritten on each error, so check early if you want to use it.
    PHP Code:
    <?php

function ErrorHandler() {

var_dump(error_reporting()); // 0
    }

set_error_handler('ErrorHandler');
    echo @
    $a[1];
    ?>

The undefined index error was pre-apended by the error-control operator. I understand that this will still call my error handler callback, but it should have set the value of $iErr to 0. At the conclusion of performance training events, there is usually some form of assessment of the knowledge gained or a demonstration of skills learned.

The @-operator works only on expressions. A simple rule of thumb is: if you can take the value of something, you can prepend the @ operator to it. Operator precedence is working against you in this instance. For instance, you can prepend it to variables, function and include() calls, constants, and so forth. You cannot prepend it to function or class definitions, or conditional structures such as if and foreach, and so forth.