Thread: How to SQL Update trigger example Deleted

How to SQL Update trigger example Deleted

I'm trying to create a simple cascade delete trigger in SQL Server 7 where deleting "parent" records in table X delete corresponding child records in table Y. When I want to change the coach of the given club, i have to update the club table. So i have to change idCoach of that club. The 'off the shelf' application does strange things as, in only one transaction, inserting a row and immediately deleting it..

Re: How to SQL Update trigger example Deleted

The inserted table stores copies of the affected rows during INSERT and UPDATE statements. The main consideration is that you cannot have declarative referential integrity in place when you perform cascading actions in triggers in SQL 7. DDL triggers execute in response to a variety of data definition language (DDL) events. These events primarily correspond to Transact-SQL CREATE, ALTER, and DROP statements, and certain system stored procedures that perform DDL-like operations. A database trigger is procedural code that is automatically executed in response to certain events on a particular table or view in a database.

I suggest this might not be an appropriate use for triggers, which are very difficult to debug, Some systems also support non-data triggers, which fire in response to Data Definition Language (DDL) events such as creating tables, or runtime events such as logon, commit, and rollback, and may also be used for auditing purposes. Each trigger operates within the same transaction that the statement that caused the delete, insert or update is in.

There are "BEFORE triggers" and "AFTER triggers" which run in addition to any changes already being made to the database, and "INSTEAD OF trigger" which fully replace the database's normal activity. Logon triggers fire in response to the LOGON event that is raised when a user sessions is being established. Triggers can be created directly from Transact-SQL statements or from methods of assemblies that are created in the Microsoft .NET Framework common language runtime.